Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-06-2020, 12:51 AM

Default Commit MIDI Track (not instrument track)

*SOLVED* AFTER SOME ADDITIONAL RESEARCH I WAS ABLE TO ACHIEVE THE DESIRED RESULT BY:
1. CREATING AS NEW AUDIO TRACK
2. SETTING THE INPUT ON THIS NEW TRACK TO MY AUDIO INTERFACE
3. SOLOING THE MIDI TRACK I WANTED TO COMMIT
4. ARMING THE NEW AUDIO TRACK ONLY
5. UPON PLAYING, THE MIDI NOTES WERE RECORDED TO THE AUDIO TRACK
__________________________________________________ _____________

I have an issue with committing/bouncing a MIDI track (not an instrument track) to Pro Tools. I can record and hear MIDI notes on this track, both during recording and playback, but the commit button is greyed out, so I cant convert it to an audio track. Furthermore, when i bounce the session, the MIDI tracks in question are not present in the bounced audio.

I am using the following equipment:
- PT 12.8.1 (on windows 10)
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
- Access Virus C Synth
- Korg microkey midi keyboard 25

My cabling is as follows:
1. Audio interface connected via USB to PC
2. Korg keyboard connected via USB to PC
3. Virus C MIDI OUT connected to the MIDI IN of the Audio Interface
4. Audio interface MIDI OUT connected to MIDI IN of the Virus C

Additional notes:
- I am using a MIDI track instead of an instrument track because i couldn't get the instrument track working with the below setup, so I did some internet research and was advised that I should be using a MIDI track, as instrument tracks are for virtual instruments only.
- I understand that I can play in and record the virus synth directly to an audio track (i.e. not use midi), but i want to be able to use midi sometimes, as it allows for greater timing/quantize control.
- I also have an Roland A-70 expandable controller that I can utilise if this helps. Unlike the Korg microkey, it uses traditional 5 pin midi plugs that can connect directly to the Virus C midi inputs/outputs.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to using hardware synths with PT, so if there's a solution, detailed steps would be appreciated!

Last edited by Tsen Ru; 06-06-2020 at 01:21 AM. Reason: SOLVED
Old 06-07-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Commit MIDI Track (not instrument track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsen Ru View Post
*SOLVED* AFTER SOME ADDITIONAL RESEARCH I WAS ABLE TO ACHIEVE THE DESIRED RESULT BY:
1. CREATING AS NEW AUDIO TRACK
2. SETTING THE INPUT ON THIS NEW TRACK TO MY AUDIO INTERFACE
3. SOLOING THE MIDI TRACK I WANTED TO COMMIT
4. ARMING THE NEW AUDIO TRACK ONLY
5. UPON PLAYING, THE MIDI NOTES WERE RECORDED TO THE AUDIO TRACK
__________________________________________________ _____________

I have an issue with committing/bouncing a MIDI track (not an instrument track) to Pro Tools. I can record and hear MIDI notes on this track, both during recording and playback, but the commit button is greyed out, so I cant convert it to an audio track. Furthermore, when i bounce the session, the MIDI tracks in question are not present in the bounced audio.

I am using the following equipment:
- PT 12.8.1 (on windows 10)
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
- Access Virus C Synth
- Korg microkey midi keyboard 25

My cabling is as follows:
1. Audio interface connected via USB to PC
2. Korg keyboard connected via USB to PC
3. Virus C MIDI OUT connected to the MIDI IN of the Audio Interface
4. Audio interface MIDI OUT connected to MIDI IN of the Virus C

Additional notes:
- I am using a MIDI track instead of an instrument track because i couldn't get the instrument track working with the below setup, so I did some internet research and was advised that I should be using a MIDI track, as instrument tracks are for virtual instruments only.
- I understand that I can play in and record the virus synth directly to an audio track (i.e. not use midi), but i want to be able to use midi sometimes, as it allows for greater timing/quantize control.
- I also have an Roland A-70 expandable controller that I can utilise if this helps. Unlike the Korg microkey, it uses traditional 5 pin midi plugs that can connect directly to the Virus C midi inputs/outputs.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to using hardware synths with PT, so if there's a solution, detailed steps would be appreciated!

I'm not sure you still understand the process based on your description. Audio tracks do not record midi notes. They record audio. To commit a MIDI track it has to be assigned to a virtual instrument of some sort so there is audio output to commit to an audio track.

From your description it sounds like what you wanted to do was have the Pro Tools MIDI track play your Virus synth and then record the audio output of the Virus to a Pro Tools audio track. If that's correct, then for future reference, you can NOT use the "commit" function to accomplish that. Commit only works with virtual instruments. If you're using MIDI to play external hardware, the audio has to be recorded in real time like any other external instrument or vocal would.

Also, when recording audio from external synth being played by a PT MIDI track, you may find you have a bit of delay between MIDI playback, and audio record. That's normal and due to, well, the laws of physics basically. The MIDI signal travels from your computer to the keyboard, gets converted to audio in the synth, and then the audio output travels the audio cable through your interface, back to digital data, and onto the audio track. I use a similar set up sometimes when I want to use a MIDI track to play a particular sound off my Yamaha Motif. There always a few milliseconds of offset on the audio track, which I have to edit to sync back up.

So you may have use audio edits to zoom in, trim off the dead space at the start, and realign the audio track to the correct bar/beat marker on the timeline.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I do indeed understand the process, but I've clearly used the term 'commit' far too loosely in my post

Appreciate the additional info on the delay, as this is something I've since experienced
Old 06-08-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsen Ru View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I do indeed understand the process, but I've clearly used the term 'commit' far too loosely in my post

Appreciate the additional info on the delay, as this is something I've since experienced

Glad it helped a bit. There's really no "cure" for the delay issue when recording this way because, you know, physics!