Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-06-2022, 11:00 PM

Default Panning simply increases volume

Hello! I am absolute beginner at Pro Tools, and many of the replies here have a lot of technical jargon that I am unfamiliar with. I simply am trying to get my start in recording and basic mixing and mastering. I have some experience with software such as Logic Pro X, a much easier DAW to grasp in my opinion.

I don't have a cool setup or anything. I just have my laptop computer and an audio interface for recording. I've had this issue when I'm trying to listen with my headphones that when I pan to the right or left, it simply just increases the volume, and the actual volume control barely does anything. When I return the pan to center, it's quiet again. I need somebody to explain this to me in baby steps.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Panning simply increases volume

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Unfortunately DUC is not a place where other users can provide basic tutorials, but we can help when you are stuck or things are not working as expected.

The very best way to get started is to find beginner video tutorials close to what you want to do, using a similar version of Pro Tools as well. You can find free content on YouTube or classes on commercial services like Groove3.com. You need to work through following what a few tutorials are doing closely and then it will click and you will be off and working. This is by far the least frustrating, most productive way to learn this stuff unless you have a personal mentor who can sit with you doing this.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on with what you are doing, and part of that is terminology and not having enough detail in your descriptions (and if you don't know how to do stuff it's hard to know what to describe that is relevant...).

What make/model headphones are you using an how exactly are they connected to your 2i2 interface? ... just checking... they need to be plugged into the headphone socket on the front panel. Not one of the sockets on the rear panel. Do you have any headphone amp or other stuff in that signal chain?

What are you recording? Vocals? acoustic guitar? piano? etc. describe that as best you can. What microphones etc are you recording through? And are you recording to mono or stereo audio tracks?

Unfortunately this is an area that you have to pick up the terminology on. And this is already biting you right here..

What do you mean by that volume control? A track fader in Pro Tools (which one)? The monitor level knob on the front of the 2i2? Headphone level knob?

One possible thing is you are lost on the most basics. And that often happen with folks say recording stereo tracks when they should be working in mono etc.

So say you are recording vocals and an acoustic guitar. You can track (aka record) both at once or at separate times, using a microphone for vocals and another for the guitar. They both get recorded to *mono* *audio* tracks (not stereo and not an instrument track for the guitar). Pro Tools mixes those mono tracks into a stereo output. And you get a "level control" inside Pro Tools of the outputs by creating a master fader track on the output you are using. You use the vocals and guitar track fader to adjust the relative levels (we don't call that volume) of the vocals and guitar and use the pan controls on those tracks to pan those mono tracks into the stereo output sound field. See we are already way out of depth here on terminology and stuff you would help pick up on in a tutorial.

So at a guess you might have stuff messed up with say recording a mono signal to one side of a stereo audio track instead of to a mono audio track.

As you go you will find a lot of words you don't know the meaning of, learning that precise lingo is a part of learning how to do stuff, Google search those terms and also search in the Pro Tools Reference Guide PDF that is already installed on your computer. In fact have that PDF open as you work and get used to searching it. (or put it on an iPad or similar and carry with you). That documentation is overall very good, and describes important things like the signal flows inside Pro Tools so you will want to refer to that to see how things really work... *after* you have gotten started with following basic tutorials.

Logic Pro is a great DAW, many of us use it. It's strong for MIDI and compositional work. I actually find it frustrating to use vs. Pro Tools for audio recording and mixing work. Pro Tools just has more of a feel like working with a classic analog console, and once you get your head around that/that classic console signal flow and behavior it's pretty neat. But there is no shortage of good DAW products.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-07-2022 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:46 AM

Are your headphones using a "small to big" adapter? It might be "mono" instead of "stereo" adapter.

TS vs TRS (tip-ring vs tip-ring-sleeve)

For stereo headphones, need TRS.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 09-07-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLuigi22 View Post
... issue when I'm trying to listen with my headphones that when I pan to the right or left, it simply just increases the volume, and the actual volume control barely does anything. When I return the pan to center, it's quiet again...
First thing I'd do is try a different set of headphones. Might be a shorted cord.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-07-2022, 01:45 PM

hit default on every page on io setup and try again
Old 09-07-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLuigi22 View Post
Hello! I am absolute beginner at Pro Tools, and many of the replies here have a lot of technical jargon that I am unfamiliar with. I simply am trying to get my start in recording and basic mixing and mastering. I have some experience with software such as Logic Pro X, a much easier DAW to grasp in my opinion.

I don't have a cool setup or anything. I just have my laptop computer and an audio interface for recording. I've had this issue when I'm trying to listen with my headphones that when I pan to the right or left, it simply just increases the volume, and the actual volume control barely does anything. When I return the pan to center, it's quiet again. I need somebody to explain this to me in baby steps.
First lets me dispel the notion that Logic is an easier DAW to to grasp. It is a different work flow and has some different nomenclature. Both are about equal in learning curve, Just different. Kind of like driving on the right, or driving left, the one you have experience with, seems like the easier one to grasp.

For example IMO Comping takes in tracks gives a nod to Logic BUT panning and I/O give a nod to to PT

#1 you need to provide more detail
List your system and more detail about exactly what you are doing
Like ::
#2 are you talking about panning a stereo track or a mono track ?

Something sounds amiss because panning should only move the sound laterally left and right at the same level.

The only time there might be a slight difference in perceived level when panning ,,,, is when panning a hard left and right stereo track into the center (with the Pan Depth set a -6 db) it will decrease the sound in the center by 6 db.
Pan Depth setting is Located --- In your session in the tool bar at top got to Setup > scroll down to Session > the pan depth is the on the bottom left (if it is at 4.5 or 6 set it to 2.5 and check the sound

But I don't think that is the problem because the track fader should still raise and lower the level a bunch

So first can we assume by "volume control" YOU mean the track fader Yes ?

It could be your HP s or it could be a routing issue,, or even possibly a corrupted PT down load

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...