Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Switching Systems and hard drive died.. how can I get my PT back?

I traded in my dual 2.0 G5 for a MacBook and cloned the G5's internal drive (with PT 7.3LE and all of my registered plugs) in hopes of transferring it to my new Mac Book. When I went to transfer the files, my cloned HD had crapped out on me! I think the disc I have is for 6.4, with 7.3 being downloaded directly from DIGI's store. I still have a .pdf that has my license and authorization codes. Can I use that to re-download PTLE? I'm planning on purchasing PT8, so should I just pay $150 for the 7.4 upgrade? If I don't have PTLE installed on my Mac Book would I need to purchase another disk?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Switching Systems and hard drive died.. how can I get my PT back?

I would be tempted to buy 7.4 now and get PT8 later on. Did you have your audio sessions on another drive? If not, you have a slim chance of retrieving data from your old drive. One thing to try (I know it sounds nuts but worked for me once already) seal the drive in a ziplock bag and freeze it for 4 hours. Install it in an external drive case and connect to your new computer. If it is recognized, copy everything to another drive as quick as possible.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM

If I read the press release correctly you would qualify for a free update to 8.0 if you bought the 7.4 upgrade today.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would be tempted to buy 7.4 now and get PT8 later on. Did you have your audio sessions on another drive? If not, you have a slim chance of retrieving data from your old drive. One thing to try (I know it sounds nuts but worked for me once already) seal the drive in a ziplock bag and freeze it for 4 hours. Install it in an external drive case and connect to your new computer. If it is recognized, copy everything to another drive as quick as possible.
I had all of my audio files on a separate drive that still works. What I did was clone my G5's drive to my WD Mybook external drive, and then wiped the internal G5 drive so I could ship it off for trade in. Unfortunately, it was the WD MYbook external that had my only copy of the original internal drive (with PT on it) that tanked. I've tried the whole freezer thing and have wrestled a bit with dd_rescue to no avail.

I did read the press release about 8.0 being a free upgrade to those who buy 7.4 now. MY question is, can I buy 7.4 and download and install it onto my new Mac Book that doesn't have PT installed on it? I still have my license# from when I purchase 7.2 on my (now defunct) G5.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:30 AM

I am almost positive that the 7.4 download is the full installer version so yes, go grab it. It will come with a new authorization code which should get emailed to you.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave