Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-29-2022, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Using an HD Native Thunderbolt w/ the new Macs??

Ah I see.
Well I bought into Avids digilink dream with the MTRX Studio, which I can only connect with the HD Native unit to Mac mini. I regret that, I should have got a TB Apogee Symphony.

I’m hoping to set up another rig that will be thunderbolt only thank god and will then probably sell off the MTRX. In the meantime I have an unreliable pro tools system (sure it might be Monterey that’s the issue nobody knows) that is giving me nightmares as the HD driver unloads intermittently during artist recordings! Subject of another thread.

What is it with Avidsoftware?! You have to install the HD driver separately to the main app?! Neanderthal engineering…just kills the creativity..sigh

Cheers
H
Old 09-29-2022, 05:51 AM

HD driver is only needed with 3rd party DAWs -- PT can handle HD hardware.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You don't mention details of more standard troubleshooting or exact errors etc. and you are talking about this problem as if you know it is absolutely that and not say a plugin problem.... how do you know that for sure? You tested with Built-In Output as the playback engine? Removed all the plugins and just tested with the automagically reinstalled core plugins?

That you got problems with a HDN Thunderbolt box may be a sign that this is a different issue?

If you know the problem is the HDN then maybe time to do what others are and sell the HDN hardware and get on a modern CoreAudio or ASIO interface... I'd be running for the exits and flushed this stuff on eBay/Reverb, it's becoming more downside and no benefits to use DigiLink interfaces unless you want/need HDX.
Thanks for responding but in truth I wasn't really looking for troubleshooting help. As I stated, I have been in contact with AVID and have gone through all the troubleshooting. There's clearly an issue with the Mac Studio and the HDN/Thunderbolt. As acknowledged in the knowledge base. I was merely wondering if someone who clearly has the same known issue maybe found a workaround.

We ended up buying a refurbished Mac Pro from Apple and it works flawlessly. We will just sell the Mac Studio and take a small hit. Getting the Mac Pro makes more monetary sense at this time because swapping out the interface for what we need would end up costing more and be more of a pain ITA to sell. Plus with the Mac Pro's upgradability, I see us holding on to that for quite some time.

Additionally, our Avid HD interface and Lavry converters are great and will likely outlast the Mac Pro.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Pro&popup=true
Old 09-30-2022, 08:09 AM

Confused... I have HD Native hardware, an MTRX interface, and PT Ultimate 2022.9. Complete Avid chain on intel 2021 Mac mini Monterey 12.6 latest.

I STILL have to install the HD driver separately to the Pro Tools app, that is what I was calling Neanderthal engineering

cheers
H