How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:27 AM

Default Noise Blasts up through PT 12.4 [FIXED IN 12.5]

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/222833-3779

Who else is getting blasts of very loud noise in PT 12? I am and it's freaking terrible!

I think everyone can agree this is the worst possible kind of bug, one that could result in severe hearing damage.

Please if you've encountered this bug, document your experience in this thread.

I frequently get blasts of very loud signal, occurring on an aux effects channels (although if I use audio tracks in input mode instead for effects returns it still happens), often it sounds like a reverb explosion. It only ever occurs immediately after pressing play, or repositioning the playback curser whilst the session is playing.

I have been in contact with support, who has confirmed the issue is reproducible on their end, so it is not system specific to my setup. However, I have been through every possible trouble-shooting step, and nothing helps. This includes complete uninstall/ reinstall of PT, removal of all possible 3rd peripherals and software, no 3rd party plugs installed. I can reproduce the issue with either my Metric Halo uln-8 or my mac's internal soundcard. Playback engine settings make no difference; no do any other preference settings.

It is not specific to a plugin. I can easily reproduce the issue with a fresh install and no 3rd party plugs installed.

I have never had it occur on a session without automation, and it seems like the denser the automation data, the more likely I will get the noise bursts.

The bursts are very, very loud, and bypass any plugs on the master bus, so a limiter is not an effective safe guard.

Similarity, the fade-in option on the transport does not help - the noise bypasses the fade in time.

PLEASE report here if you have experienced this bug, or something like it, and voice you concerns.

In my opinion Avid should put as much energy into solving this as quickly and thoroughly as possible before someone ends up with tinnitus and permanent hearing damage.

To reiterate, Avid support have told me they can reproduce the bug, and it occurs with no 3rd party plugins installed and a fresh install.

Anyone else getting this?

From a search of the DUC I can see similar issues going back a long while, and other posts documenting what looks to be the exact same thing.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=366038

My system details:

System:
PT 12.2.1 (issue has existed since 11, but seems to have got worse under 12)
OSX 10.9.6
2009 Mac Pro 12 core 2.66
24 GB ram
System Drive OWC Pci-e SSD
Project Drive OWC SATA 3g SSD
(The ssd's are new additions; the problem was the same using all conventional HDDs)
Metric Halo ULN-8
UAD-2 Octo
Artist Mix

Last edited by mr xy; 10-15-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Noise Blasts in PT 12

Hi Tom, while still not on PT12, I've been running PT11HD Software on my Mac Pro 2013 6-core and I have been experiencing the same problem - see existing thread for PT11 here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...eferrerid=6997

Busy mix sessions, loads of Artist Series controller-written automation - bang! I get the exploding bug upon playback. Just like you said, it is not plug-in dependent and it seems to be related to automation on aux tracks - I never tried to have audio tracks in input, but obviously it is something related to that particular function on the mixer when bussing into other mixer channels. I suspect some kind of timing inconsistency, because it doesn't happen every time, but on average on a busy mix session something like 10-15 times in a working day.

Clearly from what you're stating here, AVID just rolled it on into PT12. How nice of them. I will contact support as soon as I can to reinforce the point you are making - this is a dangerous and potentially damaging bug, and there might be some legal grounds to sue the company for ear damage and loss of business in extreme cases, especially after they acknowledged that the problem can be reproduced.

I'd be interested to read if anyone else would come forward to report their experience.

My rig: Mac Pro 2013 6-core 16GB RAM, Mac OS 10.10.3, OWC Thunderbay 4 with 3 SATA hard drives, PT11 HD Software, Lynx Aurora 16 with TB card, 2 x UAD Satellite FW, 1 x UAD Apollo Twin DUO, 1 x UAD Satellite Octo TB, 2 x Apple 23" Cinema Displays (1 connected with Apple passive TB to DVI adapter, 1 connected with Apple Dual Link Active DVI adapter), 1 x HDMI Display
Old 10-13-2015, 04:38 PM

I've been dealing with it since moving to 11. Still happening in 12.2. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't blown a speaker.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
I've been dealing with it since moving to 11. Still happening in 12.2. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't blown a speaker.
I did! Blew a pair of tweeters out on my new Amphions. Not happy!

More concerned about my ears though!!

Anyone else seeing getting this bug???
Old 10-15-2015, 06:05 AM

no-one else?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 AM

Same problem here....

Can't put my finger on it but seems to happen more often with Sonnox plugins on Aux masters.... Though I'm not convinced that is actually the issue....
Old 10-15-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDDECISION View Post
Same problem here....

Can't put my finger on it but seems to happen more often with Sonnox plugins on Aux masters.... Though I'm not convinced that is actually the issue....
I don't think it's any one plugin - I can reproduce with only stock plugs. Could you list your system specs?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 AM

i do not hear it here .. or not yet .. PT10,11 and 12 on a MAC

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-15-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr xy View Post
no-one else?
Yes. All the time.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:56 AM

Yeah I've had it. Reverb explosion thing, exactly the same as OP describes (presumably the max-out thing sending to aux busses). Really really horrible. Definitely related to automation I agree.

I complained about this last year : http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351038

I have a theory that as the floating point architecture has such a massive amount of headroom now it can reproduce these excessively loud thumps that wouldn't have been possible under fixed-point. Whaddya reckon?
Closed Thread