How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2020, 05:20 AM

Default PLEASE, update the write to selection requester

please, please, please

it's soooo easy to fix, the whole postproduction world is waiting for this for 20 years

now we can only suppress all the warnings in write to selection

we need to supress only the warnings when we write to selection - not the whole session

we write automation to selection hundrets times a day, everytime we have to look at the requester and make sure we're not writing to the whole session

or turn off all warnings and hope we don't make a mistake and erase automation in the whole movie

it's absurd

i know, there is the guardian angel script, it kind of works, but it is laggy

we need protools to handle this by itself
Old 07-15-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Re: PLEASE, update the write to selection requester

+1000000

I tried the Guardian Angel script, which is really cool and a valuable service provided by the developer, but for some reason it wasn't working on my system.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:29 AM

I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:34 AM

Can someone please explain the issue for non-post users? I work in music and I'm curious.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
+1000000

I tried the Guardian Angel script, which is really cool and a valuable service provided by the developer, but for some reason it wasn't working on my system.
You have to let it control your app under system prefs /security. Works like a charm with 20.5 and Catalina here. And "suppress automation warnings" needs to be OFF for it to do something. I can't work without it anymore.

F.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:57 AM

on my 2 systems (10.14) guardian angel "kind of works"

sometimes it works, sometimes it waits 3-4 seconds before clocing the requester. which is a super-annoying showstopper.

it's not like rewritting the audio engine or implementing folder tracks. it's just one annoying requester that should disappear. probably 15 minutes of coding.

avid. you can make it. please.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Can someone please explain the issue for non-post users? I work in music and I'm curious.
When you're in preview and have nothing selected on a track PT will happily write the change to the entire session length when you hit "write to selection" (essentially wiping out your entire automation on all tracks in preview). There is a warning popup but it only differs marginally from the completely useless "hey, I wrote something to your selection (hit OK to continue)"- pop up as they both look very similar at first glance.

GuardianAngel clicks the nag-screen away automatically and leaves the relevant warning open when you've written to the entire session length.

Imagine a screen that pops up every time you hit command-C saying "Hey I've just copied something for you! Press OK to continue" and another when you forgot to select something saying "Oops, there was no selection. So I didn't copy anything Press OK to continue". Now let that sink in and you're emotionally pretty close to someone working in post getting those screens 100 times every day ;-)))

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 07-15-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
on my 2 systems (10.14) guardian angel "kind of works"

sometimes it works, sometimes it waits 3-4 seconds before clocing the requester. which is a super-annoying showstopper.

it's not like rewritting the audio engine or implementing folder tracks. it's just one annoying requester that should disappear. probably 15 minutes of coding.

avid. you can make it. please.
Ultimately the function should finally do what PT's own tool-tip says: "write to selection". No selection - nothing written. The End.

(The 2 times per year I do want to write to the entire length I'm happy to select the entire session. But not at the cost of having to press OK about 1 Trillion times that same year please which is what's happening now)

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 07-15-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
in postproduction automation is used all the time

you don't set the eq for dialog in the whole movie, you eq and process each line, sometimes each word individually.

you do this by entering preview mode, tweaking the plugins, selecting the range where you want your settings to be written to, and clicking WRITE TO SELECTION.

all fine - if you select a range.

if you just place a cursor somewhere in the session (so the LENGTH of selection is 0) and you click WRITE TO SELECTION - you will write your settings to the whole session.

imagine tweaking dialogs for 6 weeks and then erasing all the eq automation with one click.

so there is a requester asking you every time if you are sure you know what you are doing. it says "are you sure you want to write automation to your selected range?" or "are you sure you want to write automation to the whole session?"

you have to read the requester and press enter. hundrets times a day.

or disable these warnings in preferences.

but then you risk that one day at 2 AM you don't select a range and write auto to the whole session erasing for example all you eq.

what we need is a requester that pops up only when we're going to write automation to the whole session - this is a scary thing that can ruin your work.

writing automation to selected range should happen with no requester at all.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Ultimately the function should finally do what PT's own tool-tip says: "write to selection". No selection - nothing written. The End.

(The 2 times per year I do want to write to the entire length I'm happy to select the entire session. But not at the cost of having to press OK about 1 Trillion times that same year please which is what's happening now)
yep