Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-24-2022, 04:44 AM

Default More Markers Pleeeeze!

Would it be very hard to let us have more markers?
I use markers for scene boundaries to assist with laying backgrounds etc, notes on dialogue, to remind me to do something etc.

On a feature film they quickly run out.

Of course it would be great if you could have different colours on different marker tracks that you can show and hide as needed, but just allowing them to go beyond 999 would be a bonus for now.
Is it like the Millenium Bug for Pro Tools or something?
Old 07-24-2022, 07:02 AM

Default Re: More Markers Pleeeeze!

I wouldn't mind the 999 limit if we could have multiple tracks and colors with 999 each.

And these marker tracks really need editing parity with the other tracks.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:02 PM

They do have editing parity if you select in the marker track as well while editing. But maybe that's not what you mean?
Yea more, I don't care where they come from, different tracks colours whatever just more. Why are they even limited at all?
Old 07-24-2022, 05:59 PM

Can't use the Shift command unless that's changed recently.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
They do have editing parity if you select in the marker track as well while editing. But maybe that's not what you mean?
Yea more, I don't care where they come from, different tracks colours whatever just more. Why are they even limited at all?
My guess is shortcut recall commands for markers. Limited to 3 digits which is why 999.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:27 AM

Create marker tracks with empty clip groups. You can make the clip groups the length of the scene, so when you select them the entire scene is selected. You can have as many "marker" tracks as you want and different tracks for different categories. If you name them is a clever way, you can filter the clip list and then jump quickly through the "marker" clips. The possibilities are endless. All that said, I still agree that Pro Tools' marker system needs a serious overhaul.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:40 AM

I create a Scene Change Track and then use region groups.

Though it's a bit of dosh, I use EdiLoad to create a Scene Change track. This helps with BG editing and DX edits and ADR Cueing. Works a treat!

Maybe that alternative strategy helps? But, I know everyone has their workflow and we can be resistant to toss out more than a monkey when more markers would solve the issue.........

https://www.soundsinsync.com/blog/cr...ack-in-ediload
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-25-2022, 11:15 AM

Yes!! Please!!
More than one markertrack would be amazing. Searchable by name.

Cheers
Maik
Old 07-25-2022, 11:21 AM

Agreed on the need for a markers overhaul. As someone who uses markers for shot and scene boundaries, more markers are always useful to have.

But my biggest markers wish is for multiple colors. I'd love my scene boundary markers to be one color, my title card/chapter breaks to be in another color, my notes from my editors to be in another color, director notes to be in another color etc.

We're currently using clip groups for a lot of these tasks, but multi-color marker options would be an all-around better and faster workflow. Have been wishing for this for years.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:01 PM

Since we are talking marker improvements, I would like the ability to lock the marker lane to prevent accidentally moving markers when clicking on them.