Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 11-16-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Compressor suggestions?

Lately, on individual tracks that I want to control the volume of, I've been using the maxim limiter instead of the PT stock compressors I have because I find those compressors create artifacts I don't like but maxim seems to be relatively transparent. I realize though that it's well, a limiter, and not ideal for jobs where a compressor is more appropriate.

Anyone have the same experience?

Any suggestions out there for an AAX native (PT11) very transparent sounding compressor?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Compressor suggestions?

I have used Maxim, even in Audio Suite, to limit/compress passages by using it on certain clips, but rarely on a whole track.

Yet.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:58 PM

We use McDsp 6030 and the whole Retro Series aswell as lots of other great stuff but.. We just got the Avid Pro series and the compressor sounds awesome. Wayy better than I expected and now we use that Pro series on most of the songs in more then one place Clean and very responsive! Demo and see what you think.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 PM

cla 76. BF 1176 and Softube Tube tech CL1B
Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 AM

Another vote for the Avid Pro.
MOTU 2408mk3 with PCI-424 card
AMD Radeon 7750 1GB
Antec Sonata III 500 Quiet Super Mid Tower ATX Case
PT 10 & 11 on Windows 8.1 Pro
Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 AM

Eventually all plugins are recommended here, so you perhaps just need to grab some demo licenses and try it for yourself.

But hey, this is fun :) Depends where and what you need to compress, I can recommend these (in alphabetical order so not my preferred order):

- Avid Pro Compressor/Expander/Limiter
- Drawmer Dynamics (TDM-only)
- Eventide Omnipressor
- Serato Dynamics (TDM-only)
- Sonnox Dynamics
- Waves API 2500
Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachunk View Post
Lately, on individual tracks that I want to control the volume of, I've been using the maxim limiter instead of the PT stock compressors I have because I find those compressors create artifacts I don't like but maxim seems to be relatively transparent. I realize though that it's well, a limiter, and not ideal for jobs where a compressor is more appropriate.

Anyone have the same experience?

Any suggestions out there for an AAX native (PT11) very transparent sounding compressor?
Not sure what you need from your description. Maxim is a brick-wall limiter/loudness maximizer not a compressor.
What do you mean my "stock compressors"? The channel-strip compressor is pretty good I think but it's not a brick wall limiter.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 AM

The Waves CLA 76 is a great compressor. Flux offer a free plugin called Bittersweet that has some interesting options. Another free compressor you may find fun is the Audio Damage by Rough Rider.

The Avid Pro Compressor is really good as well for $99.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Not sure what you need from your description. Maxim is a brick-wall limiter/loudness maximizer not a compressor.
What do you mean my "stock compressors"? The channel-strip compressor is pretty good I think but it's not a brick wall limiter.

Channel strip is fine for general use and I use it on tracks way more often than I use Maxim - in the case I used Maxim it was to deliberately get a bit of that "brick wall" limiting effect for certain passages.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 AM

It's not really clear if you're looking for a transparent compressor or just something without artifacts. Anyhoo...

I like the Avid Channel Strip actually for basic compressor duties (make something "sit still") and it's usually what I reach for in Pro Tools unless I want apparent compression. It's not very colored.

Softube knows compression, but they're not transparent (as in "not colored"). UBK-1 is by far one of my favorites but I'm not sure we'll ever see an AAX version so if you're on PT11 you might be out of luck with that one. The NEW UAD 1176's are damn sweet if you use UAD and like 1176-style compression. I'm no fan of the old ones.

If you want non-colored compressor you should also try Sonnox and Flux.

Good luck.