Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Default Considering Switching to Pro Tools 10

Hi Everyone,

I am totally new waters here, in the Pro Tools world. I have been a Cubase user for many years now (currently on Cubase 5) and for a couple of years now I have considered converting over to the Pro Tool platform for several different reasons. This is not the pace to spew off to why I am considering making the switch but I can say that up until now I have not because I hated the fact that you had to use Digidesign hardware with Protools and I would have had to purchase all new hardware. Now that's not the case any longer so I am considering making the switch.

I downloaded the trial version of version 10 and just started to play with it to see if this stood a chance of making me want to switch from Cubase 5. With not too much effort, I was able to get my Presonus Studio Live working as my interface and got music coming into the control room so that was nice.

My immediate thoughts as soon as I launched the program was how much smaller everything on the screen was in Pro Tools and things looked very "busy". Does not seem to be laid out in an "easy on the eyes" sort of way? I think it just takes getting used too.

I playing around and recording a few test tracks I noticed some things that just made no sense to me and things I cant seem to do in Pro Tools or I don't know how to do are easily performed in Cubase. So I thought, "lets not give up" and it's a learning curve I need to go through.

I really think that have some training DVD's or Pro Tools training products would be very helpful and cut way down on learning the basic functions of Pro Tools so I don't waste the entire 30 day trial trying to figure out the simplest things and I can get into compare the power of Pro Tools 10 vs Cubase 5 to see if I am going to make the investment.

For example, It seems that in PT10 you can't open up more than 1 plugin and see it's user interface at a time on the same channel? In other words, I have a EQ as my 1st insert and a compressor as the 2nd insert. You cant have both open at the same time? If you have one open and try to open the 2nd one, the first closes? Is that really the case?

Another example, I cant seem to be able to keep the mixer window open on the screen with the project window. As soon as I click on the project window the mixer window closes?

Little things like that could be me simply not knowing where things are and how to use them. Again, I only played with the program for 30 mins.

So my question is really 2 questions.

1 - has anyone else made the switch from Cubase 5 and how do they compare the two platforms?

2 - Can someone recommend some beginner Protools video trainings so I can take it right from the very start and learn how everyhting is laid out etc..

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post here.

David
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Considering Switching to Pro Tools 10

Hey David, welcome to the DUC. My 2 cents(since I don't use Cubase) is this. Once you have learned ANY system, learning a new one will be a bit tougher as you have to break old habits(which you don't have when you start from scratch). As for tutorials, youtube is a great resource. Then there are some 3rd party videos like Pro Tools: Secrets of the Pros and Groove3.com. Just a google search of Pro Tools training videos will turn up lots of options.

In any case, all the major DAW platforms will handle about anything you can imagine, so some of your decision will come down to collaboration needs(what do others use and do you share projects) and some maight be related to specific needs(like for instance; Logic Pro seems to do midi better than most, while Pro Tools seems to do audio better than most). Of course, some will insist that X is much better than Y, but its tough to be objective on this. I know Nuendo is a very capable program(according to some others), but after watching an experienced guy work it for an afternoon, there's no way I will give up PT for it. Having said that, every time I sit at a Cubase setup, I scratch my head and can't figure out the most simple things Go figure

I must add, pro Tools seems to be more hardware-finicky than other platforms. Its quite easy to find your computer(especially a PC) isn't compatible. Sometimes its a simple as a new firewire card, other times, the entire motherboard isn't compatible. Homework will steer you best.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2012, 05:55 PM

yes welcome Dave,

the Pro Tools Expert blog is another good source of info http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/
and they have a link for a $5 5 day all access pass to Grove 3

there are some helpful videos on youTube but there is also some non-helpful videos

but for your multi plug-in window question there is a bright red box at the upper right corner of the plug-in window. click it so it goes dark and then open another plug (some goes for floating send windows)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...every time I sit at a Cubase setup, I scratch my head and can't figure out the most simple things Go figure
+1 - just tried the Cubase 6.5 trial. I had tried the Cubase 6 trial as well and same as that time, I only lasted 2 days before I got fed up. It isn't intuitive or easy to use at all for me compared to PT (and I'm quite new to PT). PT's workflow also offered a lot of advantages for me personally. You have to try it for yourself though.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 PM

the Pro Tools Expert blog is another good source of info http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/
and they have a link for a $5 5 day all access pass to Grove 3

Grrove3.com tutorials are the best!

-SteveB.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionstudios View Post

For example, It seems that in PT10 you can't open up more than 1 plugin and see it's user interface at a time on the same channel? In other words, I have a EQ as my 1st insert and a compressor as the 2nd insert. You cant have both open at the same time? If you have one open and try to open the 2nd one, the first closes? Is that really the case?
That's very very easy to do. Open your first plugin window, then press and hold shift, while you click on an other plugin. As long as you hold shift while opening an other plugin window, your other plugin windows will not close.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionstudios View Post
Hi Everyone,

Another example, I cant seem to be able to keep the mixer window open on the screen with the project window. As soon as I click on the project window the mixer window closes?

David
first for multiple plugins, hold the SHIFT key when you click the plugin insert
then to keep it open uncheck the little red box in the corner.

all mixer window and project windows should be able to be open at the same time. They may overlap on the same screen overlap, you can resize them somewhat. You can also run multiple monitors and have the mixer on one display, and your tracking/ edit window on another display and put video window and plugins anywhere you want.

see my photo link.
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...t=DSC_0232.jpg

in the photo i have pro tools mixer on the laptop display with Hybrid ( pro tools synth plug in) , i have the track edit window on the big LCD display with video running and an EQ plugin. I could open more if needed.

all new software can seem impossible at first. Sometimes even the same software does a rewrite and its like starting all over again and a complete head bang. Try going from Final cut 7 to Final cut X. I was so frustrated i went back to Final cut 7. So i know how you feel. But i have a friend who uses cubase, and i have to say i have always preferred Pro tools to it. Check out the youtube tutorials and you will get going on it.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 AM

Thank you for all the wonderful responses and help!

For training videos I found this site which I am sure most of you know..

http://www.macprovideo.com/

For $25 per month I have access to all their tutorials. That will get me through the trial period which is all I am looking for at this point as I have not decided if I am going to go full on Pro Tools or not. They also have a ton of other training videos as well for different products. I watch a few already and found out about the "opening up more than one plugin" trick, so it's already paying off....:)

Let me ask, why do people that use PT fell it is so much better than other DAW out there? I know it's the industry standard and all of that but I think the reason why most studios are using pro tools is because Pro Tools was one of the first on the scene for digital recording and that is the platform most engineers learned on so I think Pro Tools was the first to penetrate the market and that's why it's so popular. Is it really that much better of a program? I don't know about that. As these DAW's do the same thing for the most part....right?

I guess my reason for trying it out is just that, I wanted to see is it really a better workflow and better overall recording platform than Cubase.....will see.

I do love the PT surface controllers. That C24 is amazing but my GOD extremely expensive! I would love to have the "analog" feel of mixing with a 16-24 channel control surface, but to spend $5000+ on it is insane. I know they make smaller until with less fades, but that seems like a pain in the butt to me. If I have a 12 track session up I want to have all 12 fades available at my finer tips and not have so go into menus to make fades # 1 become track # 9 so on so so fourth.

I do appreciate everyone's help and I am sure I'll be here quite a bit as I am learning this new platform. You have all been helpful and I appreciate it!

Dave
Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 AM

Hey Chris,

I took a look at your photo of your set-up...very nice. I have two quickies for you.

1. What size is your LCD TV? I have a 2 monitor set-up (HP 24" & HP 19") older monitors which look like crap....lol, poor resolution and old technology. Recnetly, as I am getting older I am having trouble seeing the screens and even though they have HDMI inputs which I use, when i blow up the resolution so I can see well the picture looks pretty bad. Not crisp and clean looking. I have to set it to 1900x1200 for it to look good. So I considered getting an LCD maybe a 36"-40" and use 1 screen. My question is, how does your resolution look and can you blow up the size to where is looks clean?

2. I also have the Mackies HR824's as well and have considered moving to a Focal monitor. The issue I have is even when sitting in the sweet spot, I always have to move back about 18" to get the accurate bass response coming from the monitors. I have my room treated properly and such but can never seem to get the bass accurate from the mix position. I was wondering if you had the same issue?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Hi, the LCD tv is a 32 inch Sanyo. It can display up to 1920x1080. However i usually have it set to 1360x768. I like it a little enlarged for editing the tracks. I dont really need the reduced overview to see everything at 1900, and can still function easily with everything slightly enlarged. My laptop is at 1440x 900.

I find this setup works best for me. I also find the 32 inch is large enough since i am only 2 feet from it. I think any larger would not be so great ( plus they are very affordable now).And if you go bigger, the monitors will be further apart and you will have to move back for the sweet spot. I use to use a dual monitor setup that had my monitors further apart. I like the setup now for monitor distance and triangle.

as an aside, i dont use the HDMI inputs or the component inputs. I have a thunderbolt/mini display adapter for all three and the best looking one is the PC to PC input. the HDMI connection made the text look thin and funny. The component and DVI connections were the same. ( i think its mostly the macbook pro cant send out top resolution for an external monitor). It has to downsize it. So when i pass my mouse over to the 32 inch, it is bigger, by a factor of 3 i would say. You can see in the photo, the EQ is 2/3 the size of hybrid synth. ( back when i had a power G5, the DVI to HDMI was the best setting on my 24 inch LCD which is now my son's tv). You may find you have to experiment and try different combinations. I spend about $100 in different cables, and adapter combinations and tried them all til i found the one that worked best with the specific tv brand. Its worth it in the long run , since you will look at this monitor for many hours in the future. money well spent to get it right once. ( and if i ever change the tv etc, i have all the options again to see which one is best. I just put up the cables and adapters i dont use.)
Just make sure the LCD you get has a PC monitor cable input so you have more options for connecting. Sometimes the cheap ones skip that input.

Regarding the Mackies, i have always had consistant mixes on them, from totally treated studios i have had, to just mixing in a bedroom with no treatment. I never really have to go back and make adjustments bass freq or otherwise. I dont usually move back to hear the bass.

I dont really have any problems with bass response, and most of my remixes are pretty bass heavy in my opinion which makes my mastering harder. My current room isnt treated at all aside from the sloping beam ceiling. But i do have the Mackies setup and switched in the back for my config.

My bass pretty much is what i mix. For reference, i usually listen to my mix on the mackies, i will burn an mp3 and listen to it on my ipod earbuds, and i will listen to it on some Dell speakers i have at work. Pretty much my mixes all sound the same on those three, so thats where i stop.

perhaps im not as critical of my mixes as you are in the end. all my music ends up on youtube and as an mp3, and i start my remixes with 44.1k files off CDs and MP3s. Not the highest quality sound files.

You can check out my Beyonce remix for some heavy bass that i mixed on them. Or the Maboy remix, my The Boys remix has alot of bass drum. Almost all my remixes are with a prominent bass line.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7