Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Tempo Change w/out moving other tempo changes

How do you add a tempo change without having it shift the following tempo change?

I'm composing music for a video in Reason and having it play through PT... my tempo is decided in PT (because Reason is slaved to it)

and so, when I decide I need to speed up the tempo of something say at 1 minute (let's call it marker "A"), the marker ("B") that's at 10 minutes gets pulled earlier to 6 minutes (because the tempo leading up "B" is faster)

What this means is that the music I have later in the video plays earlier in the timeline...

My question rephrased: How do I change the tempo earlier in the timeline, without moving the music that's later in the timeline?

I'm sure this is a common/obvious problem, so there must be a simple way of doing it...

Please let me know if parts of my question need clarification

Thank you!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Tempo Change w/out moving other tempo changes

not sure cos I hardly ever use protools for this - but off top of my head...

add marker c inbetween and put in a slower tempo.. to bring b back in time...

or record your piece into protools as bits of audio.... then u can reset tempos as required... tho of course this isn't automated

or export MIDI from reason - and use protools to play that back that MIDI which is sent to reason.

or use digital performer which what alot of film composers use- it allows you to string "chunks" together - and you can set "chunk" start times
Old 02-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Avid

Which version of Pro Tools are you using?

How are you doing the tempo change, exactly?

Are your marker referenced to bar/beat or absolute?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 AM

I'm using pro tools 6.2.2

I change the tempo of midi coming into reason from pro tools by using Change Tempo under the MIDI menu

Where do you specifiy whether your change tempo markers are absolute or bar/beat? The dialogue box doesn't seem to ask me, and I don't see it under preferences.

Thanks

Pietro