Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-06-2021, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Help! ProTools 5.1.3 on MacOS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Well, I have no problem opening PT5 sessions on PT10 on the mac pro. It's the reason I kept it.
Good news then, we have a plan B
Old 07-06-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Just thinking out loud:
That old G4 with PCI cards is not gonna last forever. It's done a pretty good job working for over twenty years! It's probably just breaking up.
Oh, I know it! I've been trying to provoke him to move away from this system for almost 5 years. He "just wants to finish up this anthology, first", unfortunately.

Quote:
One way to go would be to get a used system to run Pro Tools 10. Shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks, and you might be able to find a complete setup with everything installed and working. And PT10 is the last version that will open the old sessions, albeit with some plugins missing, but stock plugins should be OK. Could be with HD cards, or it could be just a simple USB 2 channel interface. Depends on what he wants it for.

I mean, if it wasn't for the Atlantic ocean between us, I could let him have my old 2008 mac pro with an Apogee Duet and PT10 license for, say $300. It would be nice just to know that it would come to use for a few more years. Just transfer the files and away you go.
I've kind of got him psychologically prepared that we may have to go through a migration like that in order to get functional again. If we're able to get his PT 5 setup working again, I'm pretty sure he's scared enough at this point that his first order of business will be stemming everything out and getting over to a newer setup ASAP.

This is literally his life's work hanging in the balance, unfortunately.

I wonder what it would cost to ship that across the ocean? Probably an additional $300 or so I would imagine?
Old 07-06-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Good news then, we have a plan B
That is great news and an excellent plan B.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:25 AM

For the record I do have a G4 PowerMac with MIX3, but it is on another location and cannot test anything for you. All I am telling you comes from memory.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Whoa, that was tough one.. been so long already.

As far as I remember you need Extensions for testing the card, as those are basically the drivers for your hardware. But there is this thing called Extensions Manager (?) which you can use to choose which Extensions to load, once you first boot without Extensions obviously.

Good Luck !!
I know! I appreciate you guys digging around in the back of your brains!

That makes sense. I would imagine that would be the case. I'll see what we can figure out with DigiTest today.

And that makes sense about the Extensions Manager.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:29 AM

Also, for your troubleshooting:
Pressing 'space' key at startup will allow you to select/deselect extensions/control panels in Extension Manager.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Also, for your troubleshooting:
Pressing 'space' key at startup will allow you to select/deselect extensions/control panels in Extension Manager.
That is super handy to know! Thank you!

I really everyone's help so far.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:07 AM

More stuff that might help:
1-shut down the rig, open it and reseat any/all the cards
2-reseat all connections between the card(s) and any interfaces
3-On any Mac, PT versions 6 thru 10 should open any of his sessions(even the LE version will open the sessions).
4-once a session is open, its crucial that he go to File>Save Copy In> and do 2 things; #1-check the box to enforce PC/Mac compatibility, and #2-save to wave format(if possible, aiff if not). Doing this will allow the sessions to open on any current PT system, even Windows-based)
5-while he has a session open, he should also consolidate all audio back to zero and then export the consolidated audio files to another folder for each song. This way, these files can be imported into any DAW on any platform
6-just an FYI for him; some plugins(even stock ones) may not be available on newer systems, but he should not have any issues finding a newer replacement

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
3-On any Mac, PT versions 6 thru 10 should open any of his sessions(even the LE version will open the sessions).
4-once a session is open, its crucial that he go to File>Save Copy In> and do 2 things; #1-check the box to enforce PC/Mac compatibility, and #2-save to wave format(if possible, aiff if not). Doing this will allow the sessions to open on any current PT system, even Windows-based)
On PT10 it works like this: All SD2 files are converted to wav immediately when you open the old session. The wavs are placed in the Audio Files folder together with the SD2's. If you close the session you're promted to give it a new name, and it's saved as a PT10 session file.

Quote:
5-while he has a session open, he should also consolidate all audio back to zero and then export the consolidated audio files to another folder for each song. This way, these files can be imported into any DAW on any platform
This is very optional, and can be done anytime if/when needed.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
More stuff that might help:
1-shut down the rig, open it and reseat any/all the cards
2-reseat all connections between the card(s) and any interfaces
6-just an FYI for him; some plugins(even stock ones) may not be available on newer systems, but he should not have any issues finding a newer replacement
Excellent advice. Thank you! I'm planning on having him crack open the system to reseat everything and also grab pictures of the cards to help source replacements. Wonder if it might be worth getting some deoxit or similar electrical contact cleaner while we're re-seating stuff?

If we get this system up and running, the plan is to export zero-index exports of every track in every session. I think this is (hopefully) the final wake-up call he needs to finally migrate away.

That's excellent to know about the "PC/Mac Compatibility" checkbox.

I think he's mainly using really olde versions of the Waves/Renaissance plugins from that vintage. So, we should be able to get those running on newer software also. I'd probably try and steer him towards other plugins, but if he insists, they're available.