Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Master Track Compression

I'm fairly unskilled at compression and I'm wondering what's best to use on my master stereo mix.

Here's what I have to choose from:

AudioTrack
Maxim
BombFactory LA-2A
BombFactory BF76
BombFactory 1176
"DIGI's" built-in compression

Please advise, and if you have any tips on settings, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JP
Old 06-07-2004, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Master Track Compression

Unless you plan on mastering the steroe tracxks yourself, or are just a hobbyist, I suggest you put NOTHING on the master fader, particularly dynamics. Let the mastering engineer do that.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:20 AM

Thanks. That is sensible advice.

If, however, I am going to master myself (which is probably the case since I can't afford a pro), what would anyone suggest?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:30 PM

Experiment. That way you'll learn on your own instead of just following the advice of others.

John Link
Old 06-07-2004, 10:39 PM

You have a good setup of plugs to choose from to accomodate alot of different styles. For one, the BF plugs are great sims of the original units. I could only afford one real 1176 in my studio, but the plugs really do a great job of giving me more than that. I know alot of people who swear by the Maxim Plug, but it's all about what you're into. I cater to Smooth Jazz and R&B and the Maxim makes my master tracks sizzle, but when I'm trying some Herbie stuff, particularly Thrust, Headhunter Herbie stuff, I like to use a vintage plug 'cuz it's what sounds right. Try investing in the TC Master X Series. THEY ROCK!!!!!!
Also, don't hesitate to check out old plugs. I just got some old MCDSP Compressors and they sound fantastic. Some others might include: Fairchild 660, JoeMeek, Waves C1, Drawmer Dynamics, and Focusrite.
I have some old copies of these if you want to try them out. I've only used them in OS9 and I don't know if you have OSX, but let me know. That goes for anyone. Gimme an Email at: [email protected]
Old 06-13-2004, 10:29 PM

L2 from WAVES
Old 06-15-2004, 07:03 AM

http://www.digido.com

That's Bob Kat'z website. Contains a lot of mastering info and articles.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:58 AM

Bob Katz got a website? COOL.

somehow I ve never came across it.

well here´s a goog info source, too

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

best
Old 06-24-2004, 06:45 AM

Hi

I tend to use 3 plugins while mastering.

Firstly I use a compressor (Waves Rennaissence) any will do with a low threshold low ratio setting. What you want to do is gently compress the mix as a whole to bring it all together. Try your threshold at around -40db and your ratio at 1.12-1. This should give you gain reduction of around 3db. If your compressor has an Auto release time then this is generally ok in most cases. Set your attack time so it lets a little through first so your dynamics are still there and not compressed too quickly.

Then I use a Limiter (you'd use Maxim) to get the overall track level up. I set a target level at -0.5 DB FS and then bring the threshold of the limiter down so the gain reduction reads at around 3db. This will also help bring into line levels of different mixes so you get an even level throught on your CD's.

Finally when bouncing to disk for CD you need to Dither to get rid of the noise generated when going from 24 to 16 bits. I Use the standard one supplied in the Digi Rack.

Once all this is done Bounce to disk as a Stereo Interleaved 16 Bit 44100 Wav File. Make sure Convert after Bounce is selected as this is better.

I hope this helps