Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Selecting Frequency range with Izotope dialogue de-noise

Hi

I've got a film that has nasty high-frequency hiss on all the RF lav mics (it comes from a bad RF signal I think? It pumps with the signal level).

Anyway, the best approach I have to tackling it is using Izotope's Dialgoue De-noise as a inline plugin on the main DX out (since its prevalent throughout the film and across tracks).

Using the Dialogue De-noise vs. the general De-noise as its much less processor intensive.

HOWEVER, is it just me or is there no way to control frequency selection when you leave it in Auto mode? On the general de-noise there's the frequency response curve, and in Manual mode on the Dialogue De-Noise you can adjust the sensitivity level on the 6 frq pots, but in Auto mode it seems like its all or nothing. . . .

I'd love to be able to apply it to just the highs, as the rest of the signal is pretty good and I don't want any artifacting from too much de-noising for no reason.

I can split the DX out into two streams, a low&mid frequency bus and a high-frequency bus and then just put it on the high bus, but jeez, that's a bit of a heavy work around.

thanks
Old 11-03-2018, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Selecting Frequency range with Izotope dialogue de-noise

Why not try changing the selection tool in RX so you’re selecting top to bottom instead of left to right. This would allow you to select only the higher frequencies instead of the whole spectrum.

I’d have to hear the noise, but if you say it’s only in the upper frequency range, then the above option might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2018, 03:56 AM

Yeah Sardi is right. RX has a Frequency (Horizontal) selection tool. Select the band of frequencies you want to work on and apply the process.

There is also both a Time and Frequency selection tool that will allow you to isolate both a frequency and time range. Basically it allows you to draw a "box" around the area you would like to process.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM

He's not working in RX. With the plugin on a track, the only way to achieve this is working in manual mode. You can learn the curve by playing a selection of the noise only. After, you can modify the curve to not treat the lows.

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 11-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
He's not working in RX. With the plugin on a track, the only way to achieve this is working in manual mode. You can learn the curve by playing a selection of the noise only. After, you can modify the curve to not treat the lows.

Good point. I overlooked that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
Exactly, using it as an insert on the track.

Yeah - the thing with manual mode (and perhaps I'm totally wrong here) but it seems to me that it adapts to the noise profile better in "auto" mode than in manual. And what I'm looking to do is have it be a bit of an end-of-chain catch-all for this residual hiss. (I'm doing destructive and specific noise reduction where needed throughout using other methods).

So far what I'm doing is splitting my dialogue bus into two, dividing based on frequency (above and below about 8khz) and then re-uniting them after.
A bit of a pain, but its working well. Just seems weird that its not an option.

I'm using Izotope RX5 by the way, not sure if this is a feature that's been added in the more recent versions
Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_mendritzki View Post
So far what I'm doing is splitting my dialogue bus into two, dividing based on frequency (above and below about 8khz) and then re-uniting them after.
A bit of a pain, but its working well. Just seems weird that its not an option.
ProTools HD/Ultimate comes with the Pro Multiband Dynamics plugin, whick comes with a splitter plugin to do exactly what you're doing. Maybe it is simplier, maybe not! Is this method working good?

I find the manual mode to be more effective than the auto mode. But in many cases, the auto mode is good enough for the job.

I don't see any way else to do what you want.

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. It is indeed working, so......... I guess go with what works!