Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-09-2022, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Endless beachballs with 2022.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll look at this more closely when I get a break. But Simon Nakra teased how great 2022.9 will be on Facebook just recently, so maybe I'll skip over .7.
Hearing a skip in my sect.
Almost every plugin
Old 08-14-2022, 09:34 AM

The only thing I a week of a large project mix I experienced was that midi thing once that would not let me select a midi note individually or in a group. First time was yesterday. The fix for me was to just close the session and re-open it. Then it was back to normal. Keeping my eye on other things. I usually have Video Engine engaged for post work, but turned it off since I was not using video in this particular session.
NO crashes though which I am happy about-:). I usually never do have them.
I used to have the a lot when moving plugins from another track which has gone away since the last couple of updates.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 08-16-2022, 01:20 PM

Decided to try 22.7 again. But before launching, I cleaned up my Waves install (there were too many old Waveshells in my plug-ins folder). I updated the Waveshells to v13 and v14. And now everything seems to be running smoothly. It's not entirely clear if Waves was the problem. Anyway, this is much snappier than 22.6. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-08-2022, 09:54 AM

I have been having a lot of endless beachballs - tried waves clearout and reinstall as well as not using blackmagic for a bit - neither fixed it. If anyone else has any thoughts here I'm all ears!

Most of the time it is when doing something zoomed in on clip groups or with track height large rather than zoomed out looking at a lot of tracks...

Anyway I've had a support ticket with Avid, been pointed at a lot of generic lists of things to do to your setup but no dice.

All the best anyone experiencing the same on m1 machines - I hope for 2022.9 to arrive imminently with this fixed... I'd have that over ARA 2 integration right now.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willco View Post
I have been having a lot of endless beachballs - tried waves clearout and reinstall as well as not using blackmagic for a bit - neither fixed it. If anyone else has any thoughts here I'm all ears!

Most of the time it is when doing something zoomed in on clip groups or with track height large rather than zoomed out looking at a lot of tracks...

Anyway I've had a support ticket with Avid, been pointed at a lot of generic lists of things to do to your setup but no dice.

All the best anyone experiencing the same on m1 machines - I hope for 2022.9 to arrive imminently with this fixed... I'd have that over ARA 2 integration right now.
I just want to add that until week ago, I thought the problem was solved, in my case with downgrading BM drivers...but then it just starts happening again. I can however work in between without BM driver and using desktop video, but it's far away from good workflow.

I also noticed that it happens when I am zoomed in, at about 1-2 seconds!?

And I also started a case with Avid and got quite immediately response from them with very basic "solutions" like check your frame rates and use blocks instead of frames for video track. After I responded to them and send my system information...didn't hear back.

I hope (traditionally) tomorrow at IBC, here in Amsterdam, Avid will introduce new Pro Tools version and our troubles might go down the drain but on the other side, I heard they have very small space this year and it might not happen yet.

If you didn't un-install the BM drivers, do that and hopefully you can get some work done

Mac Studio Ultra, OS 13.6.5 MTRX Studio, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, HDX1, Sync HD, BM Decklink Extreme 4K, Genelec's 9.1.4, Dolby Atmos Renderer, Avid Dock, S1, SoundFlow, Streamdeck
Old 09-08-2022, 10:55 AM

FWIW I've been having lots of beachballs, periodic pauses and it is something with Monterey (12.5.1 and before) and WiFi on my Intel based MBP. Plugging in Ethernet cable and disabling WiFi fixed it. I'm not sure of the problem, mDNSresponder was doing a lot of network IO at times and lots of WiFi errors in the Console device log. Would affect Pro Tools, Web browsers, other big apps. No idea if this is related to what others see, no idea of the cause. And I'm mostly using 2022.7 but pretty sure it is the same on other recent releases, so may not be relevant to this thread... but OTOH maybe just try disabling WiFi if you are stuck.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-08-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:18 AM

Just to say, the machine I had issues with was a loaned m1 max laptop while our studios were waiting on our mac studios that were delayed. This loan laptop was migrated from another machine at work - intel! I wouldn't have done it but I didn't set it up... anyway there it is.

I now have spent a day getting the new mac studio (ultra) up and running - all new installers, no migrated stuff, no older plugins with installers from before about a year ago or more. It is running blackmagic desktop (I need to use the video output for various reasons). It is super stable and no crashes on pt 2022.7 yet. I hate to write this in case it all goes bad!

Anyway in case anyone has been migrating stuff or has some older plugs in use, that might be another thing to try - back your system up and try a clean install from scratch. If you have the time I guess.