Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-06-2017, 02:34 AM

Default Final Cut Pro X to Pro Tools

I've searched the forum and not found any recent or detailed discussion about this so apologies if it has been covered elsewhere.

I'm supervising sound post on a feature in March that is being edited on Final Cut Pro X.

I'm aware that FCPX doesn't support AAF or OMF export natively.

It seems like the only current option is to use X2Pro to convert XML to AAF.

My questions are:

1) Is there another option I'm missing for going from FCP to PT?

2) In the FCPX -> X2Pro -> Pro Tools workflow are there any potential pitfalls at any point from syncing rushes to turnover that I should be aware of?

3) Does anyone have any other useful tips about this workflow that they wish they'd know before they did it for the first time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. Production sound for this will only be a mono boom track so no dealing with multi track production if that makes a difference.

Last edited by michaelfbates; 01-06-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-06-2017, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Final Cut Pro X to Pro Tools

I did this for a couple of years and here's what I learned.

The video editor needs to utilize audio roles in their sequence (Narr, Prod, SFX, Music, etc...). Each audio clip in their sequence should be assigned a role. This is key b/c X2Pro will create tracks in the AAF based off the roles in the FCPX project. If the editor doesn't assign roles you get a mess of an AAF and get to spend a day sorting it out because everything will be labelled the default (Dialogue).

X2Pro DOES NOT support retimed clips from FCPX. If the editor is speeding up/slowing down audio you won't get it, and if you do get it, it won't be retimed and will likely be placed somewhere random in the timeline. Very frustrating.

Hope that helps.

-Stone
Old 01-07-2017, 01:44 AM

Thanks Stone, that's really helpful, exactly the sort of info I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonehengeX View Post
The video editor needs to utilize audio roles in their sequence (Narr, Prod, SFX, Music, etc...). Each audio clip in their sequence should be assigned a role. This is key b/c X2Pro will create tracks in the AAF based off the roles in the FCPX project. If the editor doesn't assign roles you get a mess of an AAF and get to spend a day sorting it out because everything will be labelled the default (Dialogue).
That's really useful to know about roles, sounds like at least I might get a reasonably organised AAF if they stick to labelling clips consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonehengeX View Post
X2Pro DOES NOT support retimed clips from FCPX. If the editor is speeding up/slowing down audio you won't get it, and if you do get it, it won't be retimed and will likely be placed somewhere random in the timeline. Very frustrating.
Could the editor just give all retimed clips a separate "retimed" role to at least keep them together to make it easier to sort out once in PT?

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 01-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Hi Michael,

Russ and I did a tutorial on Pro Tools Expert showing how to use X2Pro to get an AAF into Pro Tools from FCPX. The deal of course is long since gone but the tutorial still stands.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
Hi Michael,

Russ and I did a tutorial on Pro Tools Expert showing how to use X2Pro to get an AAF into Pro Tools from FCPX. The deal of course is long since gone but the tutorial still stands.
That's incredibly helpful Mike, thank you. Should have know you'd have covered this already!

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 01-09-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfbates View Post
Could the editor just give all retimed clips a separate "retimed" role to at least keep them together to make it easier to sort out once in PT?
The problem isn't the retimed clips being assigned a role, the problem lies in translating the EDL into an AAF and maintaining the retimed clips.

-Stone
Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 PM

My first experience receiving a project from FCPX made me want to cry. Dialog on *only* 127 tracks (started out on 500 tracks at first). It was an editing nightmare. So glad to hear you guys are working it out. I remember swearing that I would never work on a FCPX-sourced mix again.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 AM

Cheers Stone, I'll bear that in mind when talking to the editor about handover.

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
My first experience receiving a project from FCPX made me want to cry. Dialog on *only* 127 tracks (started out on 500 tracks at first). It was an editing nightmare. So glad to hear you guys are working it out. I remember swearing that I would never work on a FCPX-sourced mix again.
Oh god! That sounds nightmarish!

Did you work out what caused that?

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 05-07-2018, 11:23 AM

I AM Struggling right now on this issue, I expected then exporting an XML from FCX and importing it in logic and from there via AAF to Pro-Tools I could accomplish the same goal BUT:
first, I have a lot of synchronized files on fcx timeline, and when importing in logic I had a real mess.
2) finally understood this another issue was about the multichannel audio file, audio was recorded with sound devices and have 3-4 channel for clips, in logic, I could only hear them all mixed an on one channel.