Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Can Pro Tools Rip MP3 on the fly?

Hi,

On the weekend coming up, my local radio station is going to be broadcasting 2.5 days with of rare live recordings, and basically I'm trying to figure out how I can capture this with out having to stayed glued to the radio for whole weekend. I've a Digi 001, OSX 10.3.8 Pro Tools 6.4.something, G4 dual 1.25 and I was wondering if could use this to capture it. I've read some where that Pro Tools has MP3 ripping capabilities (I've only really used it for recording my band live so far), and I was wondering if it could do this on the fly (or do you have to save a wave file then convert it later?). I was thinking of connecting my radio (the station does do a net broadcast but I've found it to be poor quality!) to either the 001 Box or the Mic in on the Mac and some how ripping the audio on the fly.

If you can do this with Pro Tools, is it sustainable for 2.5 days (I've got 120 Gb of HD to fill) with out crashing the system? If Pro Tools can't do it, can something like garage band or something else? (I don't have it, but I could borrow a setup that does).
Any ideas?

I've since done a bit of a search on the net and found there are plenty of programs around that do this to a certain extent. Can it be done with Pro Tools? And would any of these other programs be able to handle this for 2.5 days?
And secondly can get PT to record from the on board line in rather than the 001 box?