Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2003, 08:30 AM

Default Music recording w/out a console...

Hi all -

I'm looking to get some ideas for setting up my *next* room. Our current room is a Nuendo room and we use a digital console for monitoring and creating cue mixes and such.

In my next room, I'd like to use Pro Tools HD with a Pro Control and go console-less. I'm looking to get some feedback from you guys who do this and how you have everything configured. I want to be able to send at least 4 sends to the cans and possibly a stereo pair to the live room speakers.

Then... I need to have my 2 buss monitored in the control room with multiple speaker selection (3). Also... how are you guys switching back and forth between stereo sessions and 5.1 sessions?

Are you using the master section on the Pro Control or something more robust like an API or Coleman, or...?

Is there any problems with this kind of set up? Any latency issues with the Aux sends to the headphone cues?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 06-07-2003, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Music recording w/out a console...

The Coleman Audio M3PH is certainly a wonderful way to monitor. It give you so much flexibility and to be honest I use it every single day and couldn't live without it.

As far as going console-less on the other side of things, the best idea is to go with something like the Amek/Neve PurePath Channel in a Box. That piece (if you are unfamiliar) is a single channel off of the 9098i console including mic/line pre, low/high pass, eq, compressor, and rotary faders. Sounds amazing and also gives you the option of emulating the 80's series Neve consoles with the glow, peak, and much more (&mm), and sheen buttons. All that in a 1U rack unit. Not too shabby.

API also makes a channel strip that is very good for (in my opinion) distorted guitars, heavy synths, etc.

Feel free to give me a call and I'll be happy to talk to you about your setup.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:47 AM

I'm not worried about the input devices right now (i.e. mic pre's, channel in a box's). We have some racks of gear that can float. I'll also purchase a few mic pre/channels for that room.

I'm more interested in how you guys handling monitoring (control room, studio, and head phones), speaker switching, going between 2buss and 5.1 monitoring, etc.

How are you guys "cabling" up your environments?

-Tom
Old 06-07-2003, 11:57 AM

Has anybody used the Monitor Max from MartinSound? I am also going without console soon and this device looks like the best option.

Ernie Wells
Old 06-08-2003, 12:45 AM

The way we handle monitoring is through the Coleman Audio M3PH. We do this even though we have a console. It provides the clearest cleanest sound we've ever experienced and the mixes translate very well.

As far as headphone mixes, etc. we use a couple of different things. One thing is we picked up an old Mackie 24x8 console that we couldn't care less about and we run all our headphone mixes through that and then out the 8 buses into a Furman HDS16. Of course the HRM16 units are provided for each artist and we take care of mixing together the drums, guitars, vocals, etc. into separate stereo buses so that the artist can then adjust as necessary on their own remote unit (basically giving each artist their own personal mix off the board).

Bear in mind we are not using that console to record with, it is strictly setup as a headphone mixing console. We are using a TL Audio VTC Valve Tube console as the main analog front end to the digital studio. We are big fans of analog but track into PT through Apogee converters. We then send the signal (channel by channel) back out to the baord and use a lot of the plug-ins and a lot of outboard gear in order to mix completely in analog. Big sound, lots of warmth.

Hope that explains it.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:24 AM

Is there a website of that Coleman Monitor box thing?

thx
d
Old 06-08-2003, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Dettwiler:
Is there a website of that Coleman Monitor box thing?

thx
d
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">http://www.colemanaudio.com/
Old 06-09-2003, 10:35 PM

I have a M3PH also, and it rocks. I have used other monitoring systems and this by far is the best.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:30 AM

OK - I have a Pro Control, I need some tips too!

We use it for

Main monitors
Alt monitors
fold back - via an interface out
The mix to foldback (switch next to FB volume)
Surround - 5.1 (no alt monitors usable in this mode)

TOP TIP!

Put the main volume pot to maximum and use a Benchmark DAC-1 for monitoring and volume conrol! (It rocks!)

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/news/DAC1Comments.htm

What I need to know is

Anyone had any luck with the "listenback" mic?

And how do I run

Main monitors + Alt monitors + a 'studio' playback (sending the mix out to the main recording room so musicians can hear it without coming back into the control room) ??

Thanks - dont mean to hijack the thread - just joining in !!!

Pro Control is cool! 16 faders works well.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 06-11-2003, 07:45 AM

Audient ASP510