Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-31-2003, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Report from UK Digi Accel tour

Quote:
Rumor has it Apple will be announcing a new pro audio app next week. Not just a Logic update.
Let's look at what Apple would come up with, it would be called i something and it would come with 25 sounds from Skywalker Sound (wow). Instead of useful waveforms in your regions you could view the photo of your choice from your iPhoto library or you could use one of the 25 cartoon icons that come with it from Pixar (wow).

I wouldn't worry, remember they bought Logic, they didn't by Avid.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:50 PM

if they made a few mods to logic it could be worthy of some post production senerios ... not all but final cut can not claim the praises of all post production people yet either ... remember that competition is where progress comes from. pro tools has a good lead and with others trying to knock them off the top of the hill they will have to stay on their toes ...

also, remember we are a far cry from where we were just a few short years ago ... and in a few more years we will be looking back saying wow you used to use a rotary telephone, there was no cable tv, and a small round disc will hold 74 minutes of data that will be read with a laser (whats a laser ma) and come out sounding like your favorite record without the scratching sound.

i thing all this new stuff is cool ...

i cannot wiat to get an ipod and carry all my tunes around in one little box ... in wav form not mp3's of course

enjoy the things that used to only be in the back of popular mechanics ...

and lets all make this year one of less bickering on all the forums and more sharing of knowledge freely ...

and even though all this technology costs alot of money for us we should remember that just a little while ago cell phones were so expensive that no one could get one that did not have a lot of cash ...

i have had one for close to 15 years and the service and prices are getting better and better ...

and being a pro tools user since PT III i have seen several updates that have been fantastic ... 24bit being the most ... HD the next ...

use your judgement, ask questions, as far as upgrades don't jump to soon. there will always be a few to jump so let us or them be your test subjects. be patient it will not be long before all is revealed to us ...

peace john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-03-2004, 07:36 AM

Quote:

i cannot wiat to get an ipod and carry all my tunes around in one little box ... in wav form not mp3's of course

you can put waves on a iPod, it dosent sound much different though.......
Old 01-04-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Report from Digi Accel tour

Quote:
. My current HD system is less stable then my native system (MIO / Cubase SX), and, is as much of a headache to setup and maintain.
Let’s see 30K vs 5/7K hmm… not much to think about there.
Again, if any of this true, like if stated before digi will get my HD accel money plus a brand new system. But, right know I’m not budging.
All in all, I hope all this materializes, between this and a proper upgrade path for HD early adopters would make HD accel more attractive.
my2

My Accel system can record 48 tracks and play 192 tracks with over 200 real time Plug-ins (no bouncing no lock ups, no freezing tracks needed).
No native system can touch that.
I don't care if it cost me 50 K as it was all paid for in less the 6 months.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:07 AM

Let's look at what Apple would come up with, it would be called i something

uh....hello. Have you ever heard of Final Cut Pro? If Apple can dethrone the reigning video app they can definitely do it with audio.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:35 AM

By Dopamine
Quote:
Have you ever heard of Final Cut Pro? If Apple can dethrone the reigning video app they can definitely do it with audio.
Hello. This is a common misconception. Avid is by far still the standard still in film and post. Where Final Cut has made inroads is 'one man' type of smaller facilities. And remember that Avid counteracted with Avid DV Express. But the top end facilities are still dominated by Avid. At least for now. Can FCP compete in those situations? Yes. Will it replace Avid's? Who knows. The point is that FCP is a great product that at least could theoretically at some point threaten Avid's stronghold. And that is where the analogy to audio and Digidesign may apply. For the record, I don't see it happening any time soon, but we will wait and see what time holds out for us.