Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2021, 04:01 PM

Default Does "clearing" clips from clip list remove from disc or just project?

High Sierra, i-Mac mid 2011

The subject line says it all. I have utilized the Shift Command U followed by Shift Command B and "Remove" and understand that doing so will not remove from disc, However I am not sure about clearing from clip list.

Would appreciate your advice on this one. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2021, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Does "clearing" clips from clip list remove from disc or just project?

I'm not in front of PT right now, but the two options in clip list are:
Remove - removes the clip from clip list, but audio stays in Audio files folder.
Delete - if it's a whole-file (bold type) it will be deleted from the sessions audio files folder. But it will be retrievable from the trash (right-click - 'put back'). On mac, that is.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Does "clearing" clips from clip list remove from disc or just project?

Thanks Ben for that info.

When I go to the clips list and right click on a clip there is a "clear" option. I will see what happens when I select that. If file disappears I'll check the trash.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:07 PM

I think 'clear' means remove from session, like what I meant when I wrote 'remove'. There's also an option to 'delete' I think; which is the option that moves an audio file to the trash. This is if it's a whole-file, shown in bold type in the clip bin. All clips in non-bold are just parts of whole-files, and if you delete them, it ffects only that session file.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm not in front of PT right now, but the two options in clip list are:
Remove - removes the clip from clip list, but audio stays in Audio files folder.
Delete - if it's a whole-file (bold type) it will be deleted from the sessions audio files folder. But it will be retrievable from the trash (right-click - 'put back'). On mac, that is.

Close.

REMOVE will clear it from the session but it will still be in your audio files folder on your drive. You can reimport it if you want.

MOVE TO TRASH will clear it from the session and physically move the file to the trash. You can move it out of the trash and back in to the audio files folder if you don’t empty trash.

DELETE will clear it from the session and permanently delete it off your drive. Be careful using this option. There is no undo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
When I go to the clips list and right click on a clip there is a "clear" option. I will see what happens when I select that. If file disappears I'll check the trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I think 'clear' means remove from session, like what I meant when I wrote 'remove'.
Clear is the actual command you are performing using the Shift + Command + B shortcut. Then it brings up a dialog with the Delete, Move To Trash & Remove tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2021, 06:31 PM

Thanks very much for these helpful suggestions.

Here's another question. If I accidentally delete from drive, will a time machine backup be able to restore?
Old 11-07-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
Thanks very much for these helpful suggestions.

Here's another question. If I accidentally delete from drive, will a time machine backup be able to restore?
Yes.
It's been a few years since I used Timemachine, but here's how it basically used to work;
You open the folder that the deleted file used to be in. In this case, the Audio Files folder in the session folder in question.
In Timemachine menu item, choose "Go to Timemachine" or words to that effect. If it works like it used to, the active window will be 'zoomed' and there will be a vertical timeline on the right that will let you see the content of the folder in the past.
Scroll back in time until you see the file(s) that you want to restore; right-click on them and select 'restore'.
That's the basics, roughly.
This is provided TM has been running to make backups, of course.