Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Default HDX or HD Native

So is Pro Tools HD the same software for both? So you can work on the same sessions through the same software, back and forth between the hardware?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Default Re: HDX or HD Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNTBRAD View Post
So is Pro Tools HD the same software for both? So you can work on the same sessions through the same software, back and forth between the hardware?
Yes. Of course you have to have enough native power to cover the DSP used on the HDX system.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 PM

So explain a little bit. So i have a new Macbook, as loaded as i could buy from Apple 2 weeks ago or so. At this point in time, there is nothing i can do, to use HDX on it. Only Native Correct? And if in Dec i buy a Mac Pro, the new one that is coming out, and put HDX on it, what example of Native, could not be enough power on the macbook, to handle it?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 PM

Not all plugs automagically switch over to their DSP equivalents from HD Native to HDX ... at least they didn't for me. Depending upon how complex your session setups are, there may still be some work to migrate to an HDX session from a HD Native Session (at least to get the benefit of the HDX DSP). Also, HEAT is only HDX.

I still wish Avid would implement User Selectable Plug In Strips that would allow you to migrate from machine to machine, HDN to HDX, or even plug to HW Insert. Of course, you'd still have to setup these other "Plug In Presets" manually one time ... at least in my imagination you do. This hasn't been a formal proposal, just a few of my rants. The idea being that you could create Plug In Preset Strips and then switch them on a track by track or group by group basis. In the case you've outlined (HDN->HDX), your presets could allow switching from Native to DSP plug instances.

That said ... HDX Rocks ... I'd never go back ... there are a fair number of posts of people who've considered what you are considering ... I certainly don't regret the move to HDX.

I've found that intense usage of Slate plug ins (VCC in particular, although FG-X and VBC as well) can cripple a Native system. A fully loaded MacPro can help, and I think PT 11 will help more, but the cool non linear and analog emulation plugs seem to test Native. HDX may not have these equivalents (Slate for example is still Native - although rumored to be supporting AAX-DSP in the future), however you can offload a lot onto the DSP and free the Native processors enough to move ahead. At least that is what I have done.
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG

Last edited by treason; 11-26-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 AM

HD software running natively can be utilized (But not sold without hardware)

To clarifie HD-Native is a PCIe Product requiring a Thunderbolt version or Thunderbolt PCIe chassis as well as an I/O device.

HD-HDX is a PCIe DSP card also compatible with certain Thunderbolt chassis.

So Both variation can be used with current and future Thunderbolt computer systems

The HD Software does run standalone if needed.
An HD11 special-version is available without the hardware for Complete Production toolkit owners.

Bottom line if I'm understanding your post, is A chassis with either HD-Native or HD-HDX will be able to run from your MBP and future MP. 16GB memory or better is recommended.
iMacs and MINI's all seem to be viable.

New TB-chassis are becoming available and likely not reviewed. Others have been reviewed working well.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:28 AM

Let me take this a step further..... for many years there were the TDM PRO TOOLS SYSTEMS (DSP-based, such as Pro Tools MIX, Pro Tools HD, Pro Tools HD ACCEL) and then the "native" LE SYSTEMS. The LE systems were the Digi002, 003, MBOX, all the way back to the AudioMedia cards. While these systems used Pro Tools software, there were many differences in features and sound quality---not just the converter quality, but the internal coding of the software. The plugin format RTAS (Real Time Audio Suite) was NOT the same quality as the TDM plugins (dsp-based) so if you ran out of DSP on a TDM system and had to incorporate native processing, the sound would be different.

To simplify things now the native Pro Tools systems and DSP-based systems, for all intensive purposes, are the same sound quality. The new format is called AAX which is divided into AAX NATIVE and AAX DSP. On a DSP-based system (HDX) if you run out of DSP it will switch to native, no difference in sound quality. The HD NATIVE system is true native processing, but has a card that offers low-latency monitoring and access to the AVID series of I/O interfaces. You can certainly run an HDX system off a laptop providing you're using a chassis of some sorts. With HD NATIVE you could simply buy the Thunderbolt version as opposed to the PCIe card.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
there were many differences in features and sound quality---not just the converter quality, but the internal coding of the software. The plugin format RTAS (Real Time Audio Suite) was NOT the same quality as the TDM plugins (dsp-based) so if you ran out of DSP on a TDM system and had to incorporate native processing, the sound would be different.
You're right Brad. LE sounded better. RTAS sounded better than TDM did. 32 bit float is better than 48bit fixed. Avid can finally admit it publicly now since TDM is dead. Whew!!! Onward!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
...., for all intensive purposes...
Sorry man but no matter how well thought out your reply was this kind of thing kills it. The phrase is "for all intents and purposes."
Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Sorry man but no matter how well thought out your reply was this kind of thing kills it. The phrase is "for all intents and purposes."
Seriously man, you have to be kidding? Are you telling me that when typing on a mobile device or even a computer you have never had auto word correction put the wrong word in and not catch it. Brad is one if the smartest as well as one of the most knowledgeable guys in this forum!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
And you are short two commas.
Give it a rest