Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM

Default Midi not recording properly ... timing is off upon playback

I've had this problem for a long time and I really want to get it fixed. When I record a midi passage it sounds great and in time, but when I play it back, it doesn't sound locked, it's noticeably out of time. This is with delay compensation off, with the Ivory plugin (with ADC on it reads as 10 samples of latency).

I did some testing at 96khz, 512 buffer size, ADC off. I record enabled the instrument track, bussed the track to an audio track, and recorded the audio as I recorded the midi (just some staccato notes with Ivory so I can see the waveforms clearly). Once I hit a couple notes, I stopped it, created a new playlist on the audio track, and bounced the instrument to audio again. Then I compared the two waveforms.
The first is definitely what I hear when recording midi, and the second is approx. 800 samples earlier, way out of time. Ivory is playing the same samples each take so I can measure exactly how much the midi is being shifted. BUT, not every note is off by the same amount. One note may be 12 ticks off, but another is 14, and another is 17. Because of this I can't simply shift my take a certain amount and have it be right! What on earth is going on? Why can't Pro Tools record what I play and play it right back for me?!

Does anyone have any solutions for this? Again, I did this all with delay compensation off. My specs are

Mac Pro 2.8 ghz 8 core intel xeon
6 gb ram
Mac OS 10.5.6
PT HD 2 accel 8.0cs2

I did a similar test in Logic Pro 8 and I had the same results (with delay comp off). I can't use logic very well so I haven't done exact measurements but the same thing happens! I also tested Logic on a iMac and the same thing happened. I've also done the test with multiple VIs and also with al plugins in the unused folder except for stereo mixer.dpm and the mini grand.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Digidesign?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Midi not recording properly ... timing is off upon playback

It sounds as though there may be corruption somewhere? Dunno, however, if it were me, and I went through all the steps that you did, I would suspect that there has to be something internally wrong. If you have done all that you are able, I would trash my digi pref file (it's recreated everytime you open P/T), and then create a new session, track transfer my old tracks into it; recheck everything, and if (everytime) I recorded stuff, and that was the problem, I would re-install P/T. Cumbersome yes, but then you'd be at the back at the start point.

Are you sure that you are not 'humanizing' something, or during a supposed count off while recording, something isn't amiss? Are you in shuffle?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Avid

Default Re: Midi not recording properly ... timing is off upon playback

Can you upload an example session that shows this problem clearly?

If so, please send a link to us at: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com

Please put the thread number (246637) in the subject of the message, so we can identify it properly.