Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2021, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Windows 11 Pro Tools still has Windows Vista style box

The whole ordeal with Mac vs PC is a dead horse that's been beaten to death in a firey death bed of brutality. Having a windows desktop with internal pci express expansion is great. Having separate, dedicated SSD's to organize the main apps and the operating system completely separated from the gigabytes upon gigabytes of plugin libraries, samples, project file directories and the like, keeps everything organized and efficient.

My PC performs like a dream. Rock solid in so far as the things you'd expect. Except, little things that annoy the living daylights out of me.

Media Composer, Sibelius, and Adobe run great. Pro Tools had little graphical glitches that, while I can still get work done, just makes this app unnecessarily quirky. graphical glitches that, for whatever reason seem to be non-existent if you had a different type of computer. a Mac computer.

I just have a harder time trying to rationalize the exorbitant maintenance cost of the software when it feels almost like the developers pick apart the new MacBooks with a magnifying glass making sure the software is fully supported and optimized for the shiny new m1 chips, while on the Windows side it's like "does it run if you click on the icon? OK good. Next?"

Take Carbon for example. It would be perfect for my needs. I have the budget for something like that. It's also not compatible with windows. There goes half the user base.

These days I'm inclined to believe pro tools might as well be Mac only, and now I'm placing some serious consideration into switching over to the shiny m1 Max. The issue now being that, I really don't need a new computer. My current one functions fine, is fast, stable, reliable... but can't take advantage of new avid hardware. It opens and I can get projects done, but it can't be optimized for high dpi screens. I have a budget for a new audio interface that can do more than my Omni, but I do not have the budget to buy an entirely new computer just because.

worse yet, If I get a Mac, the thunderbolt SSD's will probably be slightly slower than my PC's own internal SSD's (i know, it's a little bit ridiculous over here). Not to mention the dongles.

I think it's overall indicative of a systemic direction the company is heading in. Pro Tools is more marketable for apple computers, therefore it's more profitable to develop in. And yet, it's cross platform so it is reasonable that both versions should be consistent in utility, hardware support, and optimizations. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Pro Tools is great, don't get me wrong. But it's also gimped.

Last edited by Undead Goat; 10-30-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:40 PM

I never really noticed it until I read this thread! Guess that say how much it effects me!
Old 11-01-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen100 View Post
I never really noticed it until I read this thread! Guess that say how much it effects me!
+1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-17-2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
If your rig functions extremely well, they'll get over it & be happy.
Sure, but some workflows from my Mac Pro become impossible just due to the Parent/Child thing, and not being able to confidently grab a 4k screen does suck. Also, the client "why don't you have a Mac" thing does probably spring up more due to the archaic UI looks (even the XP style file management dialogs).
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.