Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Waves Mercury Bundle and Neve plug-ins!

Quote:
What about these plugins?
Have you checked the Gearslutz link at the beginning of this thread? There was a lot of info and discussion there, as well as some Waves sanctioned screen shots.

There's no info on the Waves site yet, but at the Gearslutz link, there was a link to a Sonic State page with some info, and a link to a fairly lengthy video talking about the Mercury bundle and the new plug-ins.

Check it out here:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shown...m?newsid=3552#

It's actually kind of cute to listen to them dance around deliberately not saying the word "Neve."

Regarding other things we know for sure, these new "V" plug-ins are only available as part of the New Mercury bundle which costs $12,500.00. It seems that that price tag has induced a number of sticker-shock heart attacks. I would imagine that there will be an upgrade path for currently WUP-ed Diamond Bundle owners that might put some people who aren't extravagantly wealthy at least within striking distance. Based on the difference in list price, I'd guestimate that an upgrade to Mercury from Diamond would be on the order of $4,000.00 to $5,000.00. Deals can be wrangled from certain dealers on Waves stuff, so I predict the best-case scenario from a generous dealer would be in the high three thousands (I'm basing this conjecture on my experience as a Waves customer since the mid-eighties). I'd also predict that somewhere down the line (maybe a year or so from now), the "V" plug-ins will be available separately from the Mercury bundle.

Waves bashing aside, I think some slack should be cut and people should have a small window to voice surprise and incredulity at a $12,500.00 plug-in bundle, shouldn't they? If not, maybe we need two Pro Tools forums -- an upstairs/downstairs, rich man's/poor man's version.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 AM

<<< (Eric Lambert wrote) Do you realize that the N in NDA stands for Non? I doubt think you care anyway -
you're an obvious oblivious Waves Cheerleader. >>>

<<< (Lee Blaske wrote) Didn't you have to sign an NDA to become a beta tester? >>>

Before people get off saying things they have no clue about. Waves has given us the green light to talk openly in public forums about the new Neve bundle and the other new plug-in.

So let us refrain from telling others what NDA stands for and whether they are in fact following it. Most people who have signed one know what it means.

MS

Old 10-11-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Before people get off saying things they have no clue about. Waves has given us the green light to talk openly in public forums about the new Neve bundle and the other new plug-in.
Are you allowed to call it the 'Neve bundle?'

Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 AM

Quote:

(I'm basing this conjecture on my experience as a Waves customer since the mid-eighties).

Lee Blaske

I assume you mean mid 90's? That's when Q10 first came out, followed by L1, C1 and S1.
Ah .. those were the days. Not many plugin to choose from then!
Old 10-11-2006, 05:11 AM

Yeah! I believe it was around 1991 I first saw the Q10 or L1 or both being used with Sound Tools.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:23 AM

Could perhaps any Waves beta testers or anyone in the know list the additional plugs available in Mercury from the Diamond Bundle. I read Waves is including the "Neve/Vintage" plugs as well as their amp modeling plugGTR. BTW how is GTR?
Any others included in Mercury?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah! I believe it was around 1991 I first saw the Q10 or L1 or both being used with Sound Tools.
Just checked, and you're right. I had L1 shortly after it came out for use with the original PT hardware.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Any others included in Mercury?
I think Mercury includes everything they make right now. Take a look at the video. It's discussed there. I believe the total is 91 plug-ins.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-11-2006, 08:06 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Are you allowed to call it the 'Neve bundle?'

Looking at those plug-ins, the number designation, the graphics, the "V" name which suggests Neve, and the fact that everyone is referring to them as the new Waves Neve plug-ins, I can't imagine that Waves is moving forward with this without the approval and blessings of Neve. If Neve wasn't on board, I would think there would be a flurry of lawyer activity going on right now. If you were, say to, say, duplicate the Coke recipe, put it in cans that had a similar design to Coke's and call it something like "Koka Kola," it wouldn't last long. UA seem to currently have the license to use the Neve name on their plug-ins. If anybody is angry about this, it would probably be UA.

One would wonder how long the terms of UA's license of the Neve name extend. I would think that Neve wasn't happy that UA discontinued TDM support. It would be to Neve's benefit to have their name in front of high end DAW users on the screens of PT users. If UA's license doesn't extend forever, perhaps the Waves "V" plug-ins will someday become the Waves Neve plug-ins. Waves must certainly have pockets deep enough to pay the freight (certainly deeper than UA).

All conjecture. Time will tell.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM

The real bummer is if (as rumoured) Waves only exclusively distributes these "Neve" plugins with some bundle. I'm going to get really angry if they don't sell their new stuff individually. Their price list is already bad, and something like this would only make it worse.

I hope this is only rumor.