Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Default What 3rd Party Inerfaces work with LLM?

Hi, my Mbox2 Pro has died on me and I'm looking in to getting a new interface. I'm interested to know what 3rd party interfaces work with Low Latency Monitoring?

I'm not really interested in hearing why I don't need to use LLM or other options, I just want to know specifically what Non-Avid/DIGI interfaces work with LLM?

Would be great if there's a list somewhere?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Default Re: What 3rd Party Inerfaces work with LLM?

AFAIK, none of them do. LLM is unique to Avid/Digi hardware( I believe). Got a mint 003 controller for sale

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2015, 04:16 PM

Most of them have an equivalent feature, usually involving a separate software mixer application. Not as one click simple as Digi interfaces, but they work.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:45 AM

Wow, that's incredible if that the case that no 3rd party interfaces work with LLM and that it's exclusive to DIGI/Avid interfaces.

I don't know whether that's true. It would be good to hear from people with 3rd party interfaces to find out.

Basically on a 3rd party interface that doesn't support it, LLM doesn't even come up in the Pro Tools Menu. I work with a friend on PT10 with an Orpheus which has a horrible tiny software mixer. The LLM feature does not even appear in the PT Menu. If I Plug an Mbox in, the the LLM feature appears in the Menu.

What about:

• Focusrite
• MOTU
• RME

Do any of these support LLM? Can anyone using any of the above confirm?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 AM

As mentioned, they all have their own way of doing it, and it almost always involves their own separate software. Some are implemented better than others.

This may not have anything to do with being able to click on the LLM function in Protools. Lots of people are using these products and doing LLM successfully.

I suggest you check out a few of the user manuals for these products to get an idea of how they work. You can access this info on their website.

Note that even newer Digi/Avid interfaces have gone this route of just using a separate software application. This includes the Mbox 3 family, and the Protools Apogee branded interfaces.

This is really the way of the future, so I suggest you start learning about it now by checking out the manuals.

In most cases, not only can you read the manuals, but you can download and install the actual software applications for free and play with them to get an idea of how it works.

To get you started, the application for Focusrite is called Mix Control, the application for RME is called Total Mix, and for MOTU it's called Cue Mix.

Note that if you have a reasonably powerful computer, you don't even need to mess with these apps, or LLM in general. You can just set a low buffer of 64 and record away.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post

Note that if you have a reasonably powerful computer, you don't even need to mess with these apps, or LLM in general. You can just set a low buffer of 64 and record away.
This is what we have done for years, on both (HDX and Native) rigs. No latency complaints from clients ever. If you need to stay with LLM, you may need to go with an older Avid interface.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This is what we have done for years, on both (HDX and Native) rigs. No latency complaints from clients ever. If you need to stay with LLM, you may need to go with an older Avid interface.
Same here, even at a buffer of 128 (on Native/LE rigs going back to LE7) I've never had a client complain. When I listen closely I can hear the latency at that buffer size but my clients never have, going to 256 is when it starts to become easily noticeable. At a buffer size of 64 or 32 the latency is negligible IMO.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:35 AM

I have the Focusrite Pro 40 and they do zero latency monitoring through their own software. Take a look at their web site for details.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Metric halo uses their mio mixer software. Works brilliantly and is super versatile. It can even be used as an "outboard mixer" during mix down.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:00 PM

Do the interfaces mentioned deal with muting input monitoring when record is hit, etc? I couldn't get that to work on the Orpheus at all. I tried 'MuteTone' by Tritone, but because we were using a Command 8 the mute tone wasn't compatible.