Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Expanding my setup... is this a good idea?

hey, I'm planning on expanding my setup from a Digi002r to either an Adat unit or something like the Projectmix I/O( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ixIO-main.html ).

If i get the ADAT I'm also goin gto get a berringer control surface for about 200.. so I'll be spending about 600 if i go the route for ADAT...

If i get the ProjectMix I/O I cna take the optical in and out of the Digi002r and go into the Project MIx, along with the midi ina nd out so taht i cna use the control surface... and have full gain control and everything over all tracks and from what i see for the MSRP(being at 1295) I'm sure its going to be more like 1000...

So if what im thinking of doing with the Project Mix will work.. I can get a control surface taht is as good as the Digi002's surface, 8 Preamps that are probably pretty close to the Digi002's for a little bit more..

Making my system have 16 inputs and an 8 fader full control surface. And sine I use my vintage soundboard for my preamps the preamps dont' matter too much to me becasue I'll only be using the line in inputs.

Also.. do you know if its possible to daisychain Optical wires?

For example:

002r to projectmix i/o to Adat unit, then back from adat unit to projectmix to 002r.. to complete the circiut...

It might be a stupid idea for all of this but i think this woudl be a really good route for anyone that wants 16 inputs.

Cya.

Jonny

P.S. I acctually seen now that if i got the project mix i wouldn't be able to do my outboard effects liek i woudl want to so it probably wouldn't work fro me unless you cna chain opticals.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Expanding my setup... is this a good idea?

I'm not sure about this one.

I think that, as the ProjectMix is an M-Audio peripheral, if you wanted to use its I/O you'd have to be using it with M-Powered Software - which you can't have on the same computer as LE.

Basically, either the 002R and LE or ProjectMix and M-Powered. The ProjectMix is basically like a super 002 for the M-Powered Software, I think.

You could use it purely as a control surface in LE under the HUI protocol, but that would be the same as the Mackie control or the Command|8 - the I/O would be useless.

I could be wrong, but I think that this is how it is.

Soz
Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 PM

yeah but if you use the optical in and out its the same as sending to an ADAT unit... But maybe im wrong... I knwo you cna ser up a second Digi002r like that...
Old 10-08-2005, 07:48 PM

it seems the control surface will work with PT 7
but unless you can put it in stand alone mode like the 002 you wont be able to use the audio i/o
Old 10-08-2005, 08:50 PM

oh taht sucks... I'll just have to settle for an ADAT unit i guess...

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a motomix or a hui for really cheap...