Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-24-2022, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Is Apple M1 Working Finally?

Did they fix the nexis driver for M1 yet?
Old 05-03-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Did they fix the nexis driver for M1 yet?
If you are referring to Avid Nexis shared storage - NOPE!
I had to sell off a dozen M1 Macs and get used Intel based CPU's to keep working with Avid Nexis. When Nexis 2021.8 was released - the headline read that it was M1 compatible (on Big Sur) - that prompted me to invest in the M1's. Then (after pointing out that there was a discrepency between the compatibility matrix and the read me file, a small line appeared in the read me: Users on M1 Macs can experience kernel panics...It was not a question of "can" but rather "will". We found it completely unusable. 2021.12.0 and then 2021.12.1 came with no change on M1 compatibility - it has been nearly 9 months now and Avid cannot / will not even say if the problem will be fixed or an approximate timeline - I can accept that with a piece of software for an individual, but not for a very expensive, supposedly industrial strength piece of equipment that is the core of workflow for 24 systems (in our case). On top of that we are paying support of 5000 USD per year on our 2 x Nexis boxes. Not impressed....
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 05-08-2022, 10:02 AM

Ouff. Yeah. We only tried with one, so it is not that big of a lost investment.

Real pity. The m1 is sooo much more quiet compared to the 2018 minis. Otherwise I found the performance to be not that different. So the m1 mini is a pretty impressive little machine.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:25 AM

I just Bought an M1 Studio to replace my Mini 2018 for home. I'm in no rush to get it up and running I bought it as a test and if everything works I'll buy a few more for the facility. I've been happy with the 18 mini but my biggest gripe is that it's limited to 3 displays and I've kind of maxed out the busses with drives and peripherals and even with some powered hubs I get some buggy issues every once in awhile.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:58 AM

I've been working on the M1 Mac Studio all week with great success.
I had a slight hiccup getting Eucon to work but there is a workaround.
Pretty powerful little machine and just perfect for my needs at this point.
A session I started on my 2018 Mini that was starting to slow it down opened right up and ran smooth as silk.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
I've been working on the M1 Mac Studio all week with great success.
I had a slight hiccup getting Eucon to work but there is a workaround.
Pretty powerful little machine and just perfect for my needs at this point.
A session I started on my 2018 Mini that was starting to slow it down opened right up and ran smooth as silk.
Would you mind to tell us more about the Eucon Hiccup and how you solved it?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:52 AM

Installed Nexis 2022.5 client on a brand new M1 Max Studio. Getting a lot of crashes when using Audiosuite processing, AVID plugins included. Running version 2022.2 plugins on the AVID side.

Having a session run on the internal disk of the MAC crashes Protools as well when using Audiosuite, although not as often.

Tried to run sessions from a QNAP NAS that we use as nearline and no problems at all.

Security is reduced on the MAC as recommended and all settings as stated on the manual. Running PT 2022.6. MAC OS Monterey 12.3.

Looks like the Nexis 2022.5 client is not yet up to the job, regarding Monterey.

Does anybody having a similar problem? Thanks

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 07-15-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi Adam View Post
Would you mind to tell us more about the Eucon Hiccup and how you solved it?
The hiccup was that Econ would see the artist mix but it wouldn't load it in PT. Scanning the ethernet ports came up empty. Just changing the name in the system settings of the computer did the trick.

I followed this thread and things appear to be working.
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419576&page=3
Old 07-15-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
Installed Nexis 2022.5 client on a brand new M1 Max Studio. Getting a lot of crashes when using Audiosuite processing, AVID plugins included. Running version 2022.2 plugins on the AVID side.

Having a session run on the internal disk of the MAC crashes Protools as well when using Audiosuite, although not as often.

Tried to run sessions from a QNAP NAS that we use as nearline and no problems at all.

Security is reduced on the MAC as recommended and all settings as stated on the manual. Running PT 2022.6. MAC OS Monterey 12.3.

Looks like the Nexis 2022.5 client is not yet up to the job, regarding Monterey.

Does anybody having a similar problem? Thanks

I'm running 2022.5 and the only issues I had are Bouncing mixes on MP4s. You can do it once and then if you don't immediately disable and then reenable the video engine PT crashes. Don't click in the edit window or anything. Bounce, diable, enter, reenable enter and you're fine until the next bounce.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:52 PM

We're running a Mac Studio Max, 32GB ram, with an external Sonnet chassis hosting a HDX card, a BM Decklink card and a 6-port SmallTree Gigabit ethernet card. Pro Tools 2022.4.
All sessions are mostly on a SmallTree Titanium server, some projects reside on a QNAP, which is slower, connected to a built-in 10Gb port.
S6, MTRX and Dolby RMU are connected to 2 Ethernet ports via card in a chassis.
Works almost flawlessly.
The system sometimes hangs when loading a bigger, plug-in heavy session, but a simple restart solves the problem.
Video plays back perfectly and is very stable.
I don't bounce to video, we use DaVinci resolve to create masters. Offline bounce is several times faster than it was on a 12-core Mac Pro 5,1.
The temperature in the machine room dropped by few degrees.
Occasionally, we have some network issues and the S6 goes offline for a few minutes, Pro Tools not affected. Trying to trace down the problem, no results yet (quite a lot of work these days).