Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 01-18-2022, 09:49 AM

Default Honest interface question.

I currently have a new decked out iMac with ProTools ultimate native. I’ve been using a digi 192 for years now. I’m wondering whether it’s time to retire it for something like a presonus quantum 2626. Latency really isn’t a problem but sometimes the 192 can be problematic. I’m using an avid native thunderbolt interface between the computer and 192. Would I be better off just scrapping it and picking up some thing like the preSonus?

Also, if I did get the presonus, would I be able to do zoom sessions remotely and use core audio to share my computer audio like I am able to do with logic pro?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Honest interface question.

You are asking folks if some new widget will fix some "problematic" issue with some old widget? Yet give no clue at all what problem is...

Unless you need a benefit of DigiLink (ie more than 64 IO that you cannot do on HD native anyhow) or you already own a bunch of other DigiLink gear or you really want say easy user compatibility with larger studio systems... then heave out the old gear. And if you are using Logic, then even more reason to run away.

The Presonus Quantum is a CoreAudio interface... as are all other interfaces you can buy for a Mac, it will work with all apps in the Mac that expect CoreAudio (ie all normal audio apps).

In addition to Presonus, there is an incredible range of interfaces available from folks like RME, Focusrite, MOTU, etc. make sure you look around before deciding.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
I currently have a new decked out iMac with ProTools ultimate native. I’ve been using a digi 192 for years now. I’m wondering whether it’s time to retire it for something like a presonus quantum 2626. Latency really isn’t a problem but sometimes the 192 can be problematic. I’m using an avid native thunderbolt interface between the computer and 192. Would I be better off just scrapping it and picking up some thing like the preSonus?

Also, if I did get the presonus, would I be able to do zoom sessions remotely and use core audio to share my computer audio like I am able to do with logic pro?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
To clarify: there is no such thing as "PT ultimate native"
There is Avid HD Native which is a hardware system with a PCIe HD Native Card
Which can run the current PT Ultimate software

First How many simultaneous record channels do you need ? In what config mic ins --line ins etc.

Ok it sounds like You are using a iMac and an external Avid thunderbolt PCIe box with HD native card ,,,correct ?

But your 192 I/O "can be problematic" ? Not clear what that means ? do you mean it is not functioning correctly at times ?

#3 So you are looking to replace it with a new I/O ? Again the question,,, Avid Omni with 4 In 8 Out would not have enough I/O ? (which would allow you to continue with Avid HD native )

If not then yes the Presonus 2626 is arguably the least expensive way to get 8 channels of line and or mic I/O with pretty low latency

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-18-2022, 01:49 PM

I am also using a 192 on an HDN card(PCIe) and its works flawlessly for me(so no reason to make a change). I am a fan of the upper end Presonus Thunderbolt interfaces, but I would also put RME on the list to be considered due to their excellent sonics and probably the best drivers in the biz I had solid performance with a Presonus Studio 1810c and would likely still be using it if not for the great deal I got on the HDN card and 192

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2022, 05:02 PM

Sorry about the lack of info. I am running Pro Tools Ultimate, an HD Native Thunderbolt and a Digi 192. The "problematic" part is that at times I do have to reboot so that the 192 can be seen by my iMac. It's pretty reliable other than that. The thing is that I do a lot of Zoom sessions and it's very easy to share computer audio with Logic Pro using the HD Native Thunderbolt for my input device and routing the output through Loopback. It seems like it's a much bigger deal to try and use Pro Tools with Zoom the same way. I have a home production setup so there's rarely an instance that I record more than one track at a time. I've been reading reviews of the presonus quantum 2626 and wondering if it's better to just scrap the 192 which has given me about 15 years of service now and get the presonus quantum 2626 (or another interface).
Old 01-18-2022, 05:18 PM

It's more of a challenge for you to use Pro Tools with Zoom only because Pro Tools does not use CoreAudio to talk to Digilink interfaces.

Any non-Avid/non-Digilink interface will use CoreAudio, and you can use Rogue Amoeba Loopback with them... (how stable stuff is is always a function of the quality of their drivers).

There has been others discussions on DUC recently about tools to collaborate with Zoom etc. with Pro Tools.

The Prosonus is a bargain for what it does. But again if swapping vendors I'd take a good look at all the interfaces available.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It's more of a challenge for you to use Pro Tools with Zoom only because Pro Tools does not use CoreAudio to talk to Digilink interfaces.

Any non-Avid/non-Digilink interface will use CoreAudio, and you can use Rogue Amoeba Loopback with them... (how stable stuff is is always a function of the quality of their drivers).

There has been others discussions on DUC recently about tools to collaborate with Zoom etc. with Pro Tools.

The Prosonus is a bargain for what it does. But again if swapping vendors I'd take a good look at all the interfaces available.
I did use my Omni and HD Native to play sound directly to Zoom (with out any third party software ) and It worked (Don't remember how ) But in the Zoom Audio selection did recognize HD Native as the input device or mic ? That was for a virtual open mic but it stopped about a year ago. Haven't tried since

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-19-2022, 06:41 AM

Presonus 2626 looks good: https://www.mixonline.com/technology...2626-interface
and also: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...s-quantum-2626
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 01-19-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I did use my Omni and HD Native to play sound directly to Zoom (with out any third party software ) and It worked (Don't remember how ) But in the Zoom Audio selection did recognize HD Native as the input device or mic ? That was for a virtual open mic but it stopped about a year ago. Haven't tried since
Sure you can use the HD CoreAudio driver support to do this, the problem is in combining (using simultaneously/routing audio etc) Pro Tools with apps like Zoom.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Sure you can use the HD CoreAudio driver support to do this, the problem is in combining (using simultaneously/routing audio etc) Pro Tools with apps like Zoom.
Yes if I recall correctly it was limited to simply being able to use the mic's connected to the OMNI for input sound in Zoom. And listening back on my HP's plugged into the the OMNI,, As if it was bypassing PT and just using the hardware

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...