Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 03-16-2021, 04:33 PM

Default HEAT on Carbon

Does HEAT run on Carbon? I mean, if you use HEAT and put a bunch of tracks into DSP mode, do you get HEAT running on those tracks on DSP? (I'm not clear where HEAT normally lives as it's not a traditional plug-in).
Old 03-16-2021, 10:06 PM
Avid

Default Re: HEAT on Carbon

Hi Dominic,

HEAT is Native-only on Carbon. When you put a track in DSP Mode HEAT is automatically bypassed. We made this decision because HEAT is primarily used for mixing and DSP Mode is primarily used for tracking. And, we felt that the DSP load taken up by HEAT could be better used for other DSP duties like plugin processing and mixing.

If you're a Carbon user, would you like DSP Mode support for HEAT? And, for which workflows?
Berkeley, CA
Old 03-17-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hi Dominic,

HEAT is Native-only on Carbon. When you put a track in DSP Mode HEAT is automatically bypassed. We made this decision because HEAT is primarily used for mixing and DSP Mode is primarily used for tracking. And, we felt that the DSP load taken up by HEAT could be better used for other DSP duties like plugin processing and mixing.

If you're a Carbon user, would you like DSP Mode support for HEAT? And, for which workflows?
Thanks Kyle.
I'm not a Carbon user but I am interested.
I don't understand how HEAT works - it's meant to be emulating a console and/or tape machine, so the sound of HEAT should be written to the audio file as its produced, and then played back through HEAT again as its played back? Does skipping it during tracking mean that the audio file doesn't hold the 'HEAT' sound, or just that you're not monitoring live signals 'off-tape' and instead it writes the HEAT signature onto the disk? Or is it just a mix thing and the audio tracks are unaffected, regardless of how many time the audio is passed through?

Dominic
Old 03-17-2021, 08:57 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Thanks Kyle.
I'm not a Carbon user but I am interested.
I don't understand how HEAT works - it's meant to be emulating a console and/or tape machine, so the sound of HEAT should be written to the audio file as its produced, and then played back through HEAT again as its played back? Does skipping it during tracking mean that the audio file doesn't hold the 'HEAT' sound, or just that you're not monitoring live signals 'off-tape' and instead it writes the HEAT signature onto the disk? Or is it just a mix thing and the audio tracks are unaffected, regardless of how many time the audio is passed through?

Dominic
You can think of HEAT as a plugin with dedicated control sections, which only apply to audio tracks. It can be pre or post the Insert section. But, the processing is not printed to disk during normal operation (it's a mix thing). Printing requires bussing an audio track running HEAT to a second audio track, then recording the processed audio to that second track. You can read more about HEAT here.

Hope that helps.
Berkeley, CA
Old 10-31-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Dominic,

Would be really nice to use Heat for tracking. Oversampling option for Heat would be Awesome. Make it possible!
Old 11-05-2021, 04:32 PM

I agree with all of this, I bought a carbon hoping to use HEAT with DSP for tracking. It's such a huge part of my sound.

Last edited by tekn0; 11-05-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:58 PM

This was a MAJOR bummer when updating to Pro Tools HDX with the Hybrid Engine. I’ve always used HEAT with my entire sessions from tracking to final mixes. Now all of a sudden it’s bypassed in tracking mode. Please fix this!!!
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org
Old 11-24-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You can think of HEAT as a plugin with dedicated control sections, which only apply to audio tracks. It can be pre or post the Insert section. But, the processing is not printed to disk during normal operation (it's a mix thing). Printing requires bussing an audio track running HEAT to a second audio track, then recording the processed audio to that second track. You can read more about HEAT here.

Hope that helps.
But when bouncing your mix to disk, the HEAT processed mix is surely included in that final bounced mix, yes?
Old 11-24-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
But when bouncing your mix to disk, the HEAT processed mix is surely included in that final bounced mix, yes?

Of course.

Kyle was (I believe) referring to tracking with Heat. IOW - it won’t be printed through Heat during recoding to disk.

Still kind of scratching my head as to why Heat is a necessity during tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Hi Dominic,

Hi Kyle,

I’d like to strongly state that this decision was awful. I 100% always use HEAT by default when I start any new tracking session. I sincerely hope AVID with fix this as I’m strongly regretting updating to the Hybrid Engine now.
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org