Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 AM

Default Poly BWF metadata not translating in Premiere

Hi All,
I apologize if this has question has been answered before, but I could not find a discussion pertaining to it.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea how to get around Premiere truncating the metadata in a Poly BWF. I export stems in a single Poly BWF out of Pro Tools to editors but when they pull up the file the track naming is eliminated and replaced with A1, A2, A,3, etc..
This is very inconvenient and a hassle for the editor. I really don't want to send multiple stems files. I'm trying to eliminate errors caused by people hand syncing the files. The BWF's in question can be reimported into Pro tools and Media composer showing all the metadata but not premiere.
Any ideas?

Last edited by gtole2; 10-04-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Poly BWF metadata not translating in Premiere

PP is crap for this, but the metadata should be there, in window | metadata (*not* in bin or timeline)

Image of metadata twirldown required (might be under bwf rather than ixml on later versions):

https://images.app.goo.gl/JM7CRQ6kNv4DfCs98

Link to feature request for it to be less crap:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/fo...rt-of-audio-cl

Comparison of how NLEs display track metadata (PP=worst):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pro...-timeline/amp/
Old 10-05-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtole2 View Post
Hi All,
I apologize if this has question has been answered before, but I could not find a discussion pertaining to it.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea how to get around Premiere truncating the metadata in a Poly BWF. I export stems in a single Poly BWF out of Pro Tools to editors but when they pull up the file the track naming is eliminated and replaced with A1, A2, A,3, etc..
This is very inconvenient and a hassle for the editor. I really don't want to send multiple stems files. I'm trying to eliminate errors caused by people hand syncing the files. The BWF's in question can be reimported into Pro tools and Media composer showing all the metadata but not premiere.
Any ideas?
I'm surprised that PT embeds track names into BWAV or iXML data. So far I've only seen this from location recorders. I was under the impression that PT is NOT capable of embedding track names into BWAVs, it can only display them if the recorder embedded them.

Which names does PT embed and how to you enter them?

Or are you talking about the regular channel names not the actual track names? (LRCLsRs etc?)

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Yes Pro tools will embed the track names that are being bounced to a Poly BWF. for instance when bouncing to poly wave a file name

DSC_Rarefinds_30_TF_Stereo Mix

will show up in the file pertaining to it when imported into Media composer. Protools, Waveagent. But Not Premiere. So in fact the data is there but Premiere does not recognize it in the bin or timeline
Old 10-05-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevora View Post
PP is crap for this, but the metadata should be there, in window | metadata (*not* in bin or timeline)

Image of metadata twirldown required (might be under bwf rather than ixml on later versions):

https://images.app.goo.gl/JM7CRQ6kNv4DfCs98

Link to feature request for it to be less crap:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/fo...rt-of-audio-cl

Comparison of how NLEs display track metadata (PP=worst):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pro...-timeline/amp/
Thank you so much for the info. unfortunately a lot of my mixes go to premiere editors and they wont accept AAfs
Old 10-05-2021, 12:37 PM

Sorry I was referring to metadata in location wav files, I assumed that PT would be able to write similarly
Old 10-05-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtole2 View Post
Yes Pro tools will embed the track names that are being bounced to a Poly BWF. for instance when bouncing to poly wave a file name

DSC_Rarefinds_30_TF_Stereo Mix

will show up in the file pertaining to it when imported into Media composer. Protools, Waveagent. But Not Premiere. So in fact the data is there but Premiere does not recognize it in the bin or timeline
Yeah, so you're talking about channel names (L,C,R etc.) not the track names (boom, lav1, lav2 etc.) mentioned in those articles. It's the same the other way around. Import a files without track names and they show up as regular L/R, LCR or what ever format. If track names are present they show up as A1, A2, A3 in PT plus the additional info from the iXML data.

I think those are two different things I think. But regardless PP should at least be able to list a stereo file as L/R. Sad it doesn't do that.