Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Need a new quieter fan to HD IO..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that Avid would overlook such a small thing like choosing quieter fans for there hardware? Stange!
Maybe it was more expensive?

TH
Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I took my time meticulously installing the new fan today and I must say it went well. This fan is not only quiet but it does a better job then the stock fan.
It pushes more air @ lower RPMS. I have been running it for about 3.5Hrs now and I still can't hear the fan running but I can feel the air gushing out. Wow!
I used scotch locks to connect the old wire to the new fan and small tie wraps to neatly keep the wire in place. Looks like a professional job.

Thanks Again for sharing this!
So who is going to do a YouTube video on how to do this?

TH
Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Need a new quiter fan to HD IO..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrange View Post
I just got the new HD i/o as well and the fan isn't bad but I want it more quiet as well. I opened it up and found the specs on the fan and how easy it would be to switch out. The fan it comes with is part# F-8025M12B II @ http://www.cofan-usa.com/axial-fans/80x80x25-ii and is rated at 29.9 dB at max speed not to mention it seems to rattle a bit! I found a fan http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=efx-08-15
that has about the same flow rated at 15dB max speed which is WAY more quiet. They sell on newegg @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835226034
I think all that needs to be done is carefully take the connector off or splice in with the new fan since the one in the HD i/o has a 4 pin connector.

I'll try to report back in the next few days if it all works out.
so anyone else done this mod? happiness?

how much quieter is it now?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Need a new quiter fan to HD IO..

You probably want someone else's opinion, but I'm still running this fan (EFX-08-15) with no problems. I record acoustic guitar in the same room with it and it's no problem with the noise now. It was much too loud for me before.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that Avid would overlook such a small thing like choosing quieter fans for there hardware? Stange!
I was thinking the same too. But if you can save $10 on each interface , there will be quite a few dollars in the end...of course you could raise the price to end consumer but thats the way you are making business...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
So who is going to do a YouTube video on how to do this?

TH

that would be cool.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Has anyone found a similar solution for the Omni?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Has anyone found a similar solution for the Omni?
My Omni is dead quiet. My external drives spin louder. Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Fixed the loud fan bug.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 10-27-2012, 04:53 AM

Hey, how many rack spaces do you guys leave either side of your Omni?

I have a 1/3 of a U above & below, & after a few hours of constant use the fans ramp up. It was worse in the summer.

Thanks

Ed
Avid HD Native + HD Omni
Avid Eleven Rack
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 AM

I've got an HD IO sitting directly above (on top of) my Omni in my right side desk rack and they are both nearly dead quiet. My desk racks are both "on the table" and not under the desk. I have a very quiet PC under my desk that uses 200 mm low rpm fans and I can hear it above the Omni and HD IO.

I'm not sure why there is the inconsistency with fan noise and the new HD interfaces, but I'm sure it is real. My HD IO sounds like a jet taking off when I first turn it on but after about 3 seconds the fan slows down and it is really quiet. Almost sounds like some units have different fan controller firmware or the temperature sensors are in different locations. I don't know.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .