Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 AM

Default HD PLUGS vs RTAS

Thinking of purchasing a new pack of plugins and noticed that obviously the RTAS versions will save me some dough... What do you guys recommend? My computer is about a year old and when I bought it, it was the fastest available... Is there any other drawback to using RTAS other than it running off your computer's processor?

Thanks dudes..
MAC PRO Dual 3.2GHz Quad- Core
8 GB RAM
EXTERNAL OWC FIREWIRE 800 Drives
2 x Digi 192 i/o 24 ins 24 outs
Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 AM

Default Re: HD PLUGS vs RTAS

The more RTAS you run, the slower the computer responds. I personally find things like sluggish screen draws etc really infuriating, so I try to get the comp to do as little processing as possible.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 AM

Default Re: HD PLUGS vs RTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
The more RTAS you run, the slower the computer responds. I personally find things like sluggish screen draws etc really infuriating, so I try to get the comp to do as little processing as possible.
Hi,

My computer doesn't slow down when using RTAS plugs

There are other caveats thought to using RTAS plugins.

They use voices when played after TDM, when used on Aux's etc. they also have a higher delay than TDM plugs. and when the CPU does get close to max you can get cpu overload messages and occasionally pops and clicks in the audio! but only when the CPU is maxxed and starts to peak etc.

When used carefully and in the right order when inserted, RTAS is fine and work just as well as TDM.

Overall TDM is better for all the reasons above, but it much depends on how you will be using them and your method of working yada yada.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.