Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Default Tascam US-200 problem

Hi, new here. Been using PT9 for about 6 months with just my PODXT for my guitar but I just picked up a Tascam US-200 as something a little better to use for my laptop. Problem is when I select it as my playback engine I get a message saying that it can't be initialized. I have the drivers installed and I don't know what might be the problem. If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Tascam US-200 problem

Does the Tascam show up in Control Panel>Device Manager>Sound Video and Audio Controllers? If it does you know the drivers are definitely installed, if not, they aren't. Are you using the latest drivers, sometimes the drivers included are updated by the time you unwrap the product. They should be available from Tascam if there are indeed any.

Are you using a USB hub? If so try plugging directly into USB port on computer. Also try using different ports.

Make sure all your USB controller drivers are up to date. Control Panel>Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Double Click on first one>Driver Tab>Update Driver>Do automatically (Whilst connected to internet). Then repeat for all USB Controllers.

If you haven't already done so, I would update Pro Tools to v9.03. It's a free update to PT9 users and is downloadable from here (Bottom of Page);
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=409231
Run installer (Do not uninstall PT9 first as installer is an update not a full installer) with PT closed. Re-install Tascam Drivers.

Is there another computer running PT9 that you can plug into?

It has been known to happen; USB cables can be malfunctioning even though they are new so if nothing else is working you will need to verify that it is functioning properly.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM

There's another issue with this interface that I am in the middle of troubleshooting myself. It appears that you can only have it set in its own control panel to a "high latency" setting in order for it to work with Pro Tools. Pro Tools will not open if the US-200 is set to a low latency setting. I cannot figure this out, so I have contacted Tascam. In my opinion, if this is not something fixable, then they are falsely advertising that this product is compatible with Pro Tools. I'm not sure if I have a driver issue or some other issue, but that is my current problem with this interface... and I've unfortunately bought six of them for a six-seat lab. So I certainly hope this is fixable.
Avid Certified Instructor / Sibelius Master Instructor
Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Jenny, hate to resurrect this thread from the dead, but thinking about getting this for use with pro tools, did you find an answer to the low latency setting with pro tools?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 AM

I didn't want to hassle with it, so I returned all of the US-200s and purchased M-Audio Mobile Pres for my lab. They were right around the same price. They installed perfectly and they work seamlessly with Pro Tools.

I teach Pro Tools, so it's important for me to be able to work with and change settings in the Playback Engine without any hassles, so that I can teach beginning students about those things. So for me (for the sake of my students' sanity), I had to go with something that integrated more easily than the Tascams did.

But honestly, I am SOOOO glad I returned them and went with the Mobile Pre.

~ J
Avid Certified Instructor / Sibelius Master Instructor