How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 wont work!!!!

Hey,

Just downloaded all the files from my free student upgrade to PT10.

I tried installing Pro Tools 10, got a message that a previous version of Pro Tools was found. I assumed, like with Pro Tools 9 it would automaticlly uninstall Pro tools for the new version. So I went ahead and uninstalled Pro Tools 9, installed 10 with no issues but when ever I open PT, either while loading up or trying to open a project I get a not responding window with no other option of closing Pro Tools.

I have already tried reinstalling/repairing with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 wont work!!!!

Im not an expert but I installed PT 10 from the same student upgrade as you did and my installation was flawless wit the exception of Xpand which was an easy fix. There are a few things we need to know before an intelligent answer can be given.

Type of PC, Version of windows or Mac OS, what kind of interface are you using and is it on and are the drivers up to date? Did you change interfaces at any point?

That is where I would start first, this these are all good, when you installed, did you reboot like it tells you too?

Are the files in the default location or did you do a custom install?

I am assuming because you saw a purple screen that means you Ilok was recognized so I will skip that speech.

I think thats a good start of information and I am sure someone else will ask or give advise if I missed anything.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post
Hey,

Just downloaded all the files from my free student upgrade to PT10.

I tried installing Pro Tools 10, got a message that a previous version of Pro Tools was found. I assumed, like with Pro Tools 9 it would automaticlly uninstall Pro tools for the new version. So I went ahead and uninstalled Pro Tools 9, installed 10 with no issues but when ever I open PT, either while loading up or trying to open a project I get a not responding window with no other option of closing Pro Tools.

I have already tried reinstalling/repairing with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

One thing I forgot, if you can post a Sandra Report
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Avid

Post Re: Pro Tools 10 wont work!!!!

Please also check out the troubleshooting section in kb349411.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 PM

I am posting this story everywhere I can, to hopefully help those of you upgrading from PT9 to PT10 on a Windows machine. It took me all day and reading several hundred posts to get all of this information figured out - even then, I had a hiccup in the process...

For what it's worth, here is my PC/Windows 7 Pro Tools 9 to Pro Tools 10 upgrade experience...

First, I had Pro Tools 9 installed with CPTK2 and PTIEP. +Sibelius & third-party plug-ins, etc. Reading in the forums and online, I knew I had a lot to lose and a lot of frustration ahead of me if I did the wrong thing.

I read that I needed to just uninstall Pro Tools 9 from Control Panel. -- That is the advice you will find about clicking the top bubble choice and "just" uninstalling PT9 and nothing else...

Well, I will tell you right now, that method does NOT work. I have a feeling (although I did not test it) that those who are telling you to click the SECOND bubble (to uninstall PT9 + the HD driver) is probably the better advice; although I'm not even sure if that would work.

So I started by uninstalling PT9 by itself from Control Panel.
Then I launched the PT10 installer, and I got the message: "setup detected older version of Pro Tools Drivers installed. Please uninstall the old drivers and try again. Aborting installation now..." with an OK button that aborts installation.

OK. Great, right?

My next thought was to reinstall v9, then uninstall it with the second bubble in control panel, including the uninstall of the HD driver. I started that process; however, realized that as I went to reinstall v9, the installer ends up "uninstalling existing components" of version 9 for you anyway, before it re-installs all of version 9 again. It actually uninstalls everything, then has you do a restart before it reinstalls.

So I took a risk, I allowed it to uninstall the old/existing components (had no choice, really), and when my system restarted and it asked me to continue with the install, I cancelled out of the install. I figured, well, it already uninstalled everything for me, so I'm hopefully right where I want to be.

So then I ran the Pro Tools 10 installer again, and it ran just fine. Installed Pro Tools 10. Then I installed the Pro Tools 10 instruments - that went fine.

I knew there was an existing issue with Xpand2, so I launched a session I knew had Xpand2 in it, and of course it didn't work. I clicked on the Xpand2 insert on one of the tracks and got the grayed-out pop-up for locating the Xpand2.big file. Had to search online to find out where that thing is located. FYI, on a Windows system, it's located at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\XPand2

So I punched that in, then my audio playback became severely distorted. I restarted Pro Tools and I had absolutely no audio through my interface at all, although I had levels showing. Closed PT again, pulled my interface, plugged my interface back in, relaunched PT again, and wallah -- I've got a fully functional Pro Tools 10 system, INCLUDING all of my plug-ins and everything else that was working in v9. (For those who are curious, this includes the full version of Structure, which I know is an issue for some people - it works just fine - I'm not dealing with the reinstallation of that like some people are.)

I've got 7 more of these MusicXPC machines that will eventually need updated from version 9 to 10, so I will TRY to come up with a flawless way of doing this, but I probably won't upgrade the other machines for a while.

Hopefully my experience on this one machine will be enough to help some people out.

I did not uninstall the Complete Production Toolkit 2 or anything else that you see in Control Panel (any of my Avid or Digidesign Plug-Ins, etc).

FYI, just so it's in one place (because it takes an all-day web search to find all of this information in one post), if you have the CPTK2 for version 9, all you have to do is install v10 and your authorization for CPTK2 v9 will run the components on v10. There is no "upgrade" or "update" for the CPTK2 when you are going from version 9 to 10.

Same with the Instrument Expansion Pack (if you have purchased and installed that with version 9) -- do not uninstall it. Just run the v10 installer. I read somewhere there are "updates" that install on some of those instrument plug-ins for v10, so you leave it installed and run v10 installer. There is no separate update or upgrade or authorization for IEP when you use PT10.
Avid Certified Instructor / Sibelius Master Instructor
Old 12-10-2011, 07:49 PM

my install experience from PTHD9 to HD10 on win7

First and foremost!! make sure you download both pro tools 10 and pro tools HD10 licenses to your ilok. downloading only one will result in a "cannot locate pt10 on ilok licenses"

and offcourse, you have to re-install structure. ugh
Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 PM

You're absolutely right. After I posted that big post, I realized I did miss a few steps...

First, before you install, update all of your hardware drivers. V10 likes you to update the drivers before you install.

Then, yes, gd, you are absolutely correct -- download your iLok licenses to your iLok!

But gd, if you don't do a full uninstall of version 9, you shouldn't have to reinstall Structure. I read multiple posts about this, which is why I did not run a full uninstall of v9. I can't see why HD would be any different, but I had absolutely no problem at all with my host-based system running Structure in version 10 without reinstalling it. Could be a Mac vs. PC issue. My post was specifically discussing the install process on a Windows machine.

~ Jenny
Old 12-10-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_Amaya View Post
You're absolutely right. After I posted that big post, I realized I did miss a few steps...

First, before you install, update all of your hardware drivers. V10 likes you to update the drivers before you install.

Then, yes, gd, you are absolutely correct -- download your iLok licenses to your iLok!

But gd, if you don't do a full uninstall of version 9, you shouldn't have to reinstall Structure. I read multiple posts about this, which is why I did not run a full uninstall of v9. I can't see why HD would be any different, but I had absolutely no problem at all with my host-based system running Structure in version 10 without reinstalling it. Could be a Mac vs. PC issue. My post was specifically discussing the install process on a Windows machine.

~ Jenny
That's wierd, just in my opinion and from my own experience. I keep reading about people having issues when upgrading. I upgraded from PT9 to PT10 without any issues at all. All I did was:

1) Disconnect all related devices (this is something I see very logic, since having them running while doing upgrades is asking for trouble - drivers and files in use by the system, etc).

2) Upgrade all hardware drivers to their latest versions. RESTART the PC.

3) Run the PT10 installer (uninstall PT9 when prompted). RESTART the PC.

After those 3 steps, I got PT10 working with no issues at all. The same happened when I upgraded from PT8 to PT9.

Anyway... I guess everyone has different setups and sometimes really screwed OSs. In my case, I don't use this Windows installation for anything other than ProTools and production software. I also have completely followed the Windows optimization page.

Best of luck next time.

Francisco
Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 AM

If none of the above steps work for you, the only method is a complete re-format of your computer and installation.

Pro Tools 9 worked just great on my system, Pro Tools 10 however is another matter. I went through a problem similar to yours a few weeks ago, and the only eventual fix was a complete reformat. Post installing Pro Tools 10, my computer runs it much less effectively, and I get many errors that I never used to.

As soon as I get the time, I'm reverting to PT9. Pisses me off that Avid can't even build an uninstaller that works...

See my thread here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=310259
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Francisco -- For some reason, and I don't think I'm alone here, when I go to install PT10 on a PC that already has PT9 on it, the installer for PT10 will not give me the option to uninstall PT9. It aborts installation and tells me it can't install PT10 because an earlier version of PT is on the system. I think most people are finding that they have to go to Control Panel and uninstall PT9 + HD Driver first, and then the PT10 installation goes smoothly.

But there are countless reports of those with the full version of Structure installed having problems with it if they uninstall it, along with PT9. So, based on what I have read, I would advise if you have Structure installed, do NOT uninstall it in the process of uninstalling PT9.

There is also an issue with Xpand!2 not linking up to its library.

I have upgraded 8 PCs now, and these are the instructions that have worked for me, consistently (I posted them here): http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...41#post1886741

However, I obviously still have some old PT9 "components" installed on my systems, and I have yet to venture back into Control Panel to attempt to remove some of them now that v10 is up and running. (Avoiding it like the plague, since everything is "working" right now - ha!) I am feeling a bit crazy today, though, and might venture into Control Panel to start removing my additional old PT9 components, just to see what happens...
Avid Certified Instructor / Sibelius Master Instructor