Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Monitoring Chain Plugins

Behringer DCX2496 tuned using SMAART Live software and a good measurement mic(Earthworks M30). This also allows for much better tweaking of the crossover region between the main speakers and the sub. This is a Godsend with most sub-$1k subwoofers(I remember tuning my first KRK sub....with the crossover knob set as low as it would go @50Hz, it was almost flat to.......150Hz). If you are put off by the Behringer name, other options include BSS London, QSC Qsys and many other DSP boxes. The trick is having access to the SMAART setup and an experienced operator. It works great, but is not "automatic" like IK ARC3, Sonarwerks, etc

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-07-2022, 11:33 AM

I'd highly recommend Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource. Inexpensive and you can run plugin chains outside of your DAW. I never had to think about putting Sonarworks on anything else (or their buggy Systemwide App). I just keep load the plugin inside of Soundsource and leave it on as needed.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeloon85 View Post
I'd highly recommend Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource. Inexpensive and you can run plugin chains outside of your DAW. I never had to think about putting Sonarworks on anything else (or their buggy Systemwide App). I just keep load the plugin inside of Soundsource and leave it on as needed.
I too, use Soundsource - for many years. It's so simple, yet so powerful, and stable, well supported, and doesn't get in your way.

And it's Mac only.
I see the OP is on Windows.

Also it relies on Apples CoreAudio to work, so interfaces with their own drivers, or Ultimate/Flex is out.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I too, use Soundsource - for many years. It's so simple, yet so powerful, and stable, well supported, and doesn't get in your way.

And it's Mac only.
I see the OP is on Windows.

Also it relies on Apples CoreAudio to work, so interfaces with their own drivers, or Ultimate/Flex is out.
Ah Gotcha!
Old 07-13-2022, 01:23 PM

I tried SoundSource. It's really freaking cool! It's so easy to use, I just fell in love with the UX.

I used it to put an EQ on the output to my USB DAC and it does exactly what I needed. I haven't tried it yet with Apollo x8.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 07-14-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
I tried SoundSource. It's really freaking cool! Occasionally, the output device won't change until after I restart the computer, but everything else works perfectly. It's so easy to use, I just fell in love with the UX.

I put an EQ on the output to my USB DAC and it does exactly what I needed. I haven't tried it yet with Apollo x8.
Yea, It's like the ultimate software for all coreaudio control.
I actually first bought it just for its ability to take over the volume up/down/mute function (F10/11/12) on apple keyboard, I use that all the time. Also I have PT set to full volume, and most other apps to around 40%. Suits me well. (Edit: Leaves me "headroom" in PT.)
Skjermbilde 2022-07-13 kl. 22.24.53.jpg

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 07-14-2022 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
I tried SoundSource. It's really freaking cool! Occasionally, the output device won't change until after I restart the computer, but everything else works perfectly. It's so easy to use, I just fell in love with the UX.

I put an EQ on the output to my USB DAC and it does exactly what I needed. I haven't tried it yet with Apollo x8.
I can say that it works very well with the Apollo X8 as well! Glad to hear it’s working for you!