Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Default Re: control 24 psu repair for $40!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacheco View Post
Ey soundhacker,
Do you have a description of this capacitor(Volts and Microfarad Values)?....What kind in replacement capacitor was used for it?.
Thanks
Opacheco.
I really had a good laugh when you asked this question.

WARNING! DO NOT TOUCH THE CAPACITORS AS THEY STORE CHARGE.

I will suggest that this may not be as simple as replacing "C20". If you aren't qualified or are not interested enough to learn what you need to know to work on your own gear, then you should leave the repair to a qualified person. Using this case as a good example, the part you would need to replace is a capacitor. Capacitors store charge. On some capacitors the charge may very well be strong enough to kill you. DO NOT attempt to replace a capacitor without first discharging the stored charge or you may be very sorry.

Ok now that the caveat is out of the way...

If you have a Control 24, open it up. On the circuit board review the capacitors. You will note each one has a white silk screened outline and nearby each outline will be a letter and a number. In this case he said it was the C20 capacitor. So review your circuit board and find the capacitor that is "C20". All the capacitors should be a "C" and then a number as in "2". The resistors will be "R1," "R2," "R3,"... etc. So it will be easy to locate the part on the circuit board and read the values. However there is the possibility a value may change for a given repair. So don't assume that buying another capacitor and sticking it in there is going to work. Also in some cases when a part fails other parts may fail because of it's failure.

You would also be in much better shape if you had a repair manual or a schematic. Generally the shop manuals will have given measurement you can take e.g. "Measure the voltage at point A and point B with a multimeter, you should see 18 volts." and so on. However in many cases I can often find a problem just by inspecting the components and from what I have seen, capacitors fail quite frequently.

HTH...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM

JAVA,

Thanks a lot for comments!!....don't worry I will take all the precautions of the case!!!......

Thanks a lot again!!,
Opacheco.

PD: Do someone have another comment??
Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM

C20 is a 4.7 microfarad 50V electrolytic capacitor. You'll be able to verify that when you pull the old one. If you have the known failure where your Control 24 flashes LEDs and causes an audible spike, odds are good that swapping C20 will fix it. There are other issues where reseating the power supply molex connectors (the white plastic multi-pin connectors) may help. If you can't DIY a fix, Skynet is a better solution than Avid, who will take a good chunk of change.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM

Check out this thread for more information:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...wer-issue.html
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googacky View Post
C20 is a 4.7 microfarad 50V electrolytic capacitor. You'll be able to verify that when you pull the old one. If you have the known failure where your Control 24 flashes LEDs and causes an audible spike, odds are good that swapping C20 will fix it. There are other issues where reseating the power supply molex connectors (the white plastic multi-pin connectors) may help. If you can't DIY a fix, Skynet is a better solution than Avid, who will take a good chunk of change.
googacky, Thanks a lot fpr the info!!!...Do someone have a pair of Control 24 pics showing the is C20 located???

Thanks a lot again
Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Cool Re: control 24 psu repair for $40!

Quote:
Originally Posted by googacky View Post
googacky, Thanks a lot for you info!!!...

Do someone have a pair of pics showing where the C20 Control 24 Power Supply is alocated???

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Hello,

I've search the internet and sounds like I have the common Control 24 PSU issue...

The problem I have is that when I turn the unit on, the PSU is clicking non strop and some of the leds on the console are flashing something like every second or so and never boot. And with every flash there's a cracking noise through the speakers.

I live in Europe, I've sent email to Skynet USA with no reply... Does anyone know if I could test/replace the c20 capacitor myself?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
Hello,

I've search the internet and sounds like I have the common Control 24 PSU issue...

The problem I have is that when I turn the unit on, the PSU is clicking non strop and some of the leds on the console are flashing something like every second or so and never boot. And with every flash there's a cracking noise through the speakers.

I live in Europe, I've sent email to Skynet USA with no reply... Does anyone know if I could test/replace the c20 capacitor myself?
Yup that's the PSU. Skynet has probably been getting flooded with emails/calls about the control 24 since i first posted. First time i called they had no idea what a "control 24" was haha.. I suppose if you familiar with soldering small components you could fix it for the cost of the capacitor (under $5). If you look at the PSU next to each component it has little white letters printed on the board with the components name. Resistors = R1, R2 etc. Capacitors = C1, C2, C20. If i remember correctly C20 is located somewhere closer to the center of the board. I would still go down the line and test everything after replacing C20. Something has to be causing C20 to fail.. If we could only figure out what that is!! I just had my second PSU fail a few weeks ago, the one that came back rebuilt from Skynet!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.TweekStudios View Post
Yup that's the PSU. Skynet has probably been getting flooded with emails/calls about the control 24 since i first posted. First time i called they had no idea what a "control 24" was haha.. I suppose if you familiar with soldering small components you could fix it for the cost of the capacitor (under $5). If you look at the PSU next to each component it has little white letters printed on the board with the components name. Resistors = R1, R2 etc. Capacitors = C1, C2, C20. If i remember correctly C20 is located somewhere closer to the center of the board. I would still go down the line and test everything after replacing C20. Something has to be causing C20 to fail.. If we could only figure out what that is!! I just had my second PSU fail a few weeks ago, the one that came back rebuilt from Skynet!
Thank you the for input. I've actually changed the C20 capacitor myself a couple weeks ago. I've replaced it with a 65V, 4.7uf, 105° one because they didn't have any 50V left at the local store and I didn't want to wait. I've been told that it is perfectly OK to do that because the capacitor has better specs. than the original. It fixed the problem and the unit is now working. It costs 0,5€!

Unfortunately since the PSU is no longer in production, there is no way to replace the PSU in Europe. So from now on, the only way to fix this PSU will be to replace faulty components... Plus, the power supply is a custom design and seems a bit tricky to replicate. As far as knowing why this capacitor fails, it seems to be a flaw in the design and it will eventually fail at some point. On the other hand, the capacitor is supposed to last 1000 to 2000 hours so I think it's "normal" to replace it :)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Brahamnesik
Do you have a pair of pics of this Capacitor on the board(PSU Board)???...That will be great in order to indentify it(exact location)!!!...

Thanks a lot
Opacheco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
Thank you the for input. I've actually changed the C20 capacitor myself a couple weeks ago. I've replaced it with a 65V, 4.7uf, 105° one because they didn't have any 50V left at the local store and I didn't want to wait. I've been told that it is perfectly OK to do that because the capacitor has better specs. than the original. It fixed the problem and the unit is now working. It costs 0,5€!

Unfortunately since the PSU is no longer in production, there is no way to replace the PSU in Europe. So from now on, the only way to fix this PSU will be to replace faulty components... Plus, the power supply is a custom design and seems a bit tricky to replicate. As far as knowing why this capacitor fails, it seems to be a flaw in the design and it will eventually fail at some point. On the other hand, the capacitor is supposed to last 1000 to 2000 hours so I think it's "normal" to replace it :)