Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Re: control 24 psu repair for $40!

Thanks for the info. I wish I would have read this last year cause I paid Digi the 500 to get me back up and running
Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Sounds like what happens to most flat panel LCD monitors. I've fixed half of the ones at work by replacing a couple of caps. Cost about $5 (at radioshack) and took about 30 mins per monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacheco View Post
Dan,

Do you remember the c20 capacitor value (microfarads and volts)??
Do you know what voltage supply is connected to this capacitor??....my 48 volts phantom power and the strip line yellow ligth is death in all channels!!...

My psu female connector have damage(the wires come from the toroidal transformer) is black color, like carbon deposit....I changed it and the psu problem is better now but the channel strip ligth and 48 Phantom Voltage is death until!!....

Thanks anticipated for your help.
Opacheco.
Hey Opacheco,
I believe the capacitor at "C20" is 4.6 volts but i forget the micro-farad rating. It wasn't listed on my repair sheet, but before i sent the board out i looked at C20 first because i knew it was a common problem. I didn't see any physical damage so i sent it out instead of just replacing the capacitor. If you look on the board, it has the locations printed next to the components in white. its pretty small but they're all there. C20 is somewhere around the center upper left area (if that makes any sense lol) once you locate the capacitor, the voltage and micro-farad ratings are printed right on it. Its hard to see, but get a flashlight and you'll be able to check it out.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Dan.TweekStudios,

Thanks a lot for this information!!...But is this a Electrolitic or ceramic capacitor???.....Look like 4.6volts isn't a standar value voltage....do you?

The Phanton Power is affected for this C20 problem???....my control 24 have the 48Volts death.

Is the C20 the only root of the problem???...or Is because other parts damaged too?

Thanks again!
Opacheco.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 PM

I guess there are plenty of things that can happen to the psu board on your control 24. I know that if C20 is dead, it wont even power on, so i dont know if the phantom power if affected. If you can power on the machine, but the phantom power is the only problem, then i would imagine it is something other than C20, or even the psu itself. But i wouldn't be the one to ask lol. Ive never heard of only the phantom dieing before. Its worth sending it out to get tested though. Or just grab a voltage meter and make sure all the contacts are supplying the correct voltage. I'm npot even sure which part of the board handles the phantom though.. Wish i could help more!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Dan,

I can power on the machine but the the Led's and Scribble Strips is gone too!!!.....the yellow back line of the Scribble Strips is death.......In your experience, Is this a C20 Problem supply???......I will test the Phantom Power with a volmeter!!

Thanks for your comments,
Opacheco.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacheco View Post
Dan,

I can power on the machine but the the Led's and Scribble Strips is gone too!!!.....the yellow back line of the Scribble Strips is death.......In your experience, Is this a C20 Problem supply???......I will test the Phantom Power with a volmeter!!

Thanks for your comments,
Opacheco.
Dan are you there until?

Opacheco.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM

I had my power supply repaired by Skynet last week, all is working great they were awesome to deal with. before i hung up the phone with them i asked their repair dept what the lifespan of the power supply was....... the response was 2 years...

after that the c20 cap dries out and needs to be replaced. NICE
Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhacker View Post
I had my power supply repaired by Skynet last week, all is working great they were awesome to deal with. before i hung up the phone with them i asked their repair dept what the lifespan of the power supply was....... the response was 2 years...

after that the c20 cap dries out and needs to be replaced. NICE
Ey soundhacker, Do you have a description of this capacitor(Volts and Microfarad Values)?....What kind in replacement was used for it?.

Thanks
Opacheco.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Ey soundhacker,

Do you have a description of this capacitor(Volts and Microfarad Values)?....What kind in replacement capacitor was used for it?.

PLEASE COMMENT!!!

Thanks
Opacheco.