Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 PM

Default control 24 psu repair for $40!

Hello duc, I haven't posted too many times, but I've followed the boards for a long time and have gotten a ton of useful info from here. I just wanted to share a bit of info on my last control 24 psu experience. My psu took a dump on me for the first time. So I did what most people would do and contacted my local avid certified repair center. They said they could replace the psu for 500, or repair for 300. I was excited because from what I've seen on here that's a relatively cheap price. So I proceeded to pull the psu out to ship it. When I got it out I noticed a small company logo on the board by the name of "Skynet". I found their website and gave them a call. It turn out that they're the company that built and supplied the psu to digidesign when they built the control 24. And that they will repair any of they're produce, reguardless of make or model for only 40! I couldn't believe what I heard, so I sent it to then instead. Within two days they called me and informed me that they received the psu, repaired it, and shipped it back. I received it in the mail about 4 days later.. I installed it, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. If anyone was wondering, the report said the problem was the capacitor at "c20". From what I hear that's very common. I'm jot sire if this violates the forum rules, but I just wanted to share my experience and maybe help people save a few hundred bucks. You can find their website on google
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 PM

Default Re: control 24 psu repair for $40!

Nice ..thanks for the info
Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Dan, thanks for some great information! I just mailed off my supply to SkyNet an hour ago, thanks to your post. If it returns and runs properly, I owe you dinner!

Wayne
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Haha no problem! I just wanted to share some good info. When my control 24 broke down the first place I looked for more info was here, and found that it was flooded with people experiencing the exact same problem. There's a ton of threads asking for the best/cheapest repair place for the dreaded PSU, but $40 is unheard of! I felt obligated to spread the word.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Hi All,

I have a Control 24 that has just started reseting by itself. Tonight it won't even start up. It just sits there with all the LEDs lit. This had a new PS installed in Aug of '07. Of course today I just committed to record my son's HS jazz band. Sigh...

I was thinking of resetting the connectors to see if anything changes and if so use the deoxidizer on them. If not is it likely to be the PS again?

thanks
Steve
Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.TweekStudios View Post
Haha no problem! I just wanted to share some good info. When my control 24 broke down the first place I looked for more info was here, and found that it was flooded with people experiencing the exact same problem. There's a ton of threads asking for the best/cheapest repair place for the dreaded PSU, but $40 is unheard of! I felt obligated to spread the word.
Thanks!! I thought I got off light for 150.00. I wonder if they built this "first edition" "stick out of the back panel" version of the PS? Do you have a contact there that I could reach? SB
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 PM

@BaileyBass - I believe their website is http://www.skynetusa.com and chances are if you take a quick look at your PSU, and it has "skynet" written on the of the large components or the board itself, that it was built by them and that they'll repair it.

@steveb48 - Im not so sure thats a PSU problem, at least not the most common one that people report. The most common issue with these PSU's is one of the capacitors going bad. When you try to switch the power on, the machine will just flash the LEDs for a split second and click over and over again. Sometimes its just a few clicks then it will actually power on, this is what happened to me. But it will get progressively worse until the unit just clicks and doesn't power on anymore.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

UPDATE - I just received my repaired supply from SkyNet. Installed and working like a charm! Skynet and Dan are now on my Christmas list!

Wayne
Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Haha thanks Wayne! I'm glad I could help out! I always get plenty of help from this board, I'm happy to return the favor.

Dan
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.TweekStudios View Post
Hello duc, I haven't posted too many times, but I've followed the boards for a long time and have gotten a ton of useful info from here. I just wanted to share a bit of info on my last control 24 psu experience. My psu took a dump on me for the first time. So I did what most people would do and contacted my local avid certified repair center. They said they could replace the psu for 500, or repair for 300. I was excited because from what I've seen on here that's a relatively cheap price. So I proceeded to pull the psu out to ship it. When I got it out I noticed a small company logo on the board by the name of "Skynet". I found their website and gave them a call. It turn out that they're the company that built and supplied the psu to digidesign when they built the control 24. And that they will repair any of they're produce, reguardless of make or model for only 40! I couldn't believe what I heard, so I sent it to then instead. Within two days they called me and informed me that they received the psu, repaired it, and shipped it back. I received it in the mail about 4 days later.. I installed it, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. If anyone was wondering, the report said the problem was the capacitor at "c20". From what I hear that's very common. I'm jot sire if this violates the forum rules, but I just wanted to share my experience and maybe help people save a few hundred bucks. You can find their website on google
Dan,

Do you remember the c20 capacitor value (microfarads and volts)??
Do you know what voltage supply is connected to this capacitor??....my 48 volts phantom power and the strip line yellow ligth is death in all channels!!...

My psu female connector have damage(the wires come from the toroidal transformer) is black color, like carbon deposit....I changed it and the psu problem is better now but the channel strip ligth and 48 Phantom Voltage is death until!!....

Thanks anticipated for your help.
Opacheco.