Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2022, 05:53 PM

Default Mac Studio will NOT recognize HD Native TB/Omni

Hey guys,
I'm running HD Native TB/Omni with an iMac (High Sierra 10.13.6). I've recently purchased a Mac Studio M1 Max and want to transfer. I've tried hooking the TB Native up with a TB3 (USB-C) to TB2 Adapter. I cannot even get the HD Native to be recognized or powered by the M1 Studio. What am I doing wrong/missing?
I've seen other threads where folks are having trouble getting the HD Native TB to work with the Mac Studio, but I cannot even get mine recognized. Any advice is appreciated....thanks all.

JMUMRD
Old 07-18-2022, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Mac Studio will NOT recognize HD Native TB/Omni

What ports on the Studio have you tried connecting to? Only rear panel USB-C ports support Thunderbolt on a Studio Max.

Using Apple's Thunderbolt adapter?

What exact version of Pro Tools?

Did you allow the driver install in the Privacy and Security preferences? (something covered in many of the threads you should have looked at...)

Are you following the KB instructions?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ation-on-macOS

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-18-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:20 AM

Hey Darryl,
Thanks for trying to help. Sorry for not being overly clear. I've done everything you mentioned, and had previously gone through that KB article. But my issue is that I cannot even get the new Mac Studio to "acknowledge" that the PT Native TB/Omni is attached. (no red light on the front, and doesn't see on Mac System report).

So update, this morning the Mac studio gave a warning I'd never seen while troubleshooting. It said "You have an accessary that is not receiving enough power". Light bulb moment. I found an adaptor, and tried powering the "PT Native" externally, and BAM, the Mac sees it. It gave me a warning message that I have to update "firmware". I'm not sure I'm gonna head down that road yet. I'm a bit nervous that may make problems for my other system which currently uses that Native system perfectly and I've got a lot of work on the plate.

So to answer the questions.....yes, rear port with an official Apple TB3 (USB-C) to TB 2 Adapter. ProTools Ultimate 2022.6. Yes, had followed all the instructions on the page. Let me know if the firmware update has worked for you. I see mixed results on here...
Old 07-26-2022, 06:00 AM

I have the Mac Studio Ultra and the same thing happened to me regarding the ports. They seem to lack the power output need to be able to deliver enough juice to the TB devices attached. A powered hub is a workaround
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 07-26-2022, 11:06 AM

I too could not get my Studio to recognize my HDX in the Avid TB3 chassis and I realized after much head scratching that I was using a USB-c cable instead of thunderbolt.
HDX, Mac Studio, Rupert Neve 511 x 9, Rupert Neve 551 x 8, Manley Variable Mu, Massive Passive, Stereo Pultec, ELOP, VoxBox, and DVC, DBX 160s, Daking Fet III, Distressors, M905 Monitor Controller and other cool stuff.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:43 AM

I might have the same issue with a M1 mac mini: no power, not seen by MacOS at all.
But also, the cable that came in the box was a Mini DisplayPort cable, not Thunderbolt.
Could that be an issue?
Old 08-27-2022, 09:22 AM

Apple Silicon native software w/drivers is missing.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Apple Silicon native software w/drivers is missing.
No. HD Drivers with Apple Silicon support have been available for some time now. Can you please stop spewing this garbage on DUC.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:22 AM

Will do once you present a case where it is working as it should. I have HDN and have not got it working hiccup free on Apple Silicon. Perhaps more testing needed on my end.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Will do once you present a case where it is working as it should. I have HDN and have not got it working hiccup free on Apple Silicon. Perhaps more testing needed on my end.
Janne, You posted that this won't work until there is full native version of Pro Tools. That's just not true. And there is Apple Silicon drivers included now in the HD Driver bundle.

And yes there are issues folks have run into, many posts on DUC about driver issues, and also other posts from Apple silicon users working with this fine. Maybe you should be asking for help instead of stating this will not work at all, and implying there is not driver support for Apple Silicon today and needing to wait for the whole app to be native silicon... there is just no basis to say that.