Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-26-2022, 09:33 PM

Default Dolby Atmos Monitoring Layouts

In my 7.1.4 setup in the Dolby Atmos Renderer - I'm previewing how things would sound in 7.1, 5.1, etc... but when I click on 5.1 it's using the Ls and Rs BUT from my 5.1 config, which are the side surrounds. My REAR surrounds are the ones I want playing the Ls/Rs, not the sides (from my 7.1). Obviously I could just go to the room setup, go to monitoring, and adjust the 5.1 to use these rears but no - I can never click on the LRS and RRS without the Ls and Rs ALSO being selected. What gives!?! I don't want to audition 5.1 using my side surrounds!

Last edited by milosziv; 11-27-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Monitoring Layouts

My understanding is that this is how Dolby thinks it should be and won't change it; possibly because most home theater setups have the surrounds on the sides with the couch at the back of the room. As far as I know, there isn't really a workaround. If you have a MTRX or MTRX Studio you can make a fold down in DADman to route the side surrounds to the rears.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:25 PM

I *think* it a case of setting the 5.1/5.1.4 downmix setting to 'Direct Render' or 'Direct Render with room balance' under the Trim and Downmix menu (cmd + t). It is usually set to Lo/Ro as default.

It has been a while since I fiddled with these settings. But it seems to have done the trick here.

Appendix E - Renderer Trim and Downmix Controls
Direct 5.1 Downmix Modes
When creating a direct 5.1 downmix from the Renderer, the mixer can choose Direct Render or Direct Render with Room Balance.

Direct Render renders to 5.1 (without first downmixing via 7.1) to recreate the 7.1 sound field at the central listening position using phantom imaging between the surround speakers and front speakers in order to maintain rear surround and side surround panning intent which is lost when using a summing downmix.

Direct Render with Room Balance renders to 5.1 as above but avoids some of the possibly unfavorable characteristics of Direct Render. Because Direct Render uses phantom imaging between the surround speakers and front speakers, it sometimes sounds ‘front heavy’ and can also result in comb filtering artifacts between the fronts and surrounds. Direct Render with Room Balance applies an updated Dolby rendering algorithm that reduces the comb filtering effects associated with phantom imaging of objects positioned halfway between the front and rear of the room. Room balance refers to how the Renderer deals with content that is panned between the midpoint and rear of the room. Using room balance, the content is presented at a constant level in the surround speakers between the rear and midpoint of the room, avoiding any need for phantom imaging until it is in the front half of the room.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:07 PM

Thanks guys - put the question up on the Dolby forums to see if I get any concrete answers there. Ultimately, it doesn't make sense as this is a monitoring layout situation, not a room setup one - which is what any dowmixes should be going by - at least from my understanding.. Will keep you posted
Old 12-01-2022, 12:36 PM

From the Dolby post productions forums - someone at Dolby Labs:

AdamP (Dolby Labs)

Hi,
In room setup/routing you can switch the Ls/Rs to use 7/8 and move the Lrs/Rrs to 13/14 or some other unused output. It is a bit of a hassle if you are switching back and forth but that is the only way to get Ls/Rs out to the rear speakers in a room that setup for 7.1.4.
Best, Adam

I suggested they hopefully fix this in the future - but we'll see...