Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2021, 05:53 PM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt and SSL Deltalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
YES!! Cable length is an issue. SSL recommends no more than 18" for 192k, 35" for 96k and 70" for 48k. You MUST get shorter DigiLink cables if possible... you didn't say if MADI or DigiLink was 13'.

Our truck is using MADI over fiber optics, and length between the console and DeltaLink isn't an issue there... the problem is ONLY with the cables between the DeltaLink and your Native card.

Hope this helps.

BTW, DeltaLink manual at:

http://sslweb.solidstatelogic.com.s3...nk_MADI_HD.pdf

Start at page 17 for info on setting up with ProTools. There are specific settings you need to have to the card to see it correctly.

Good luck!!
I have used the Delta Link MADI on 12’ Digilink cables for almost a decade. It has been connected to Digilinks #4 and #5 following six 192s using Digilinks #1- #3. A Magma PE6R4 has been my DSP ‘hub’. This has never given me any trouble at all. All my work is 48k and I have to admit this is the first I’ve heard of DL length issues specifically with the Delta Link MADI. That was PTHD10. I have just moved to PTHD11 and an HD Native PCIe card so I’m very interested in this.

Is anyone still in this discussion? If so, I would love to know how you’ve integrated the Delta Link with any Digidesign Blue interface. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
Hi Lance and Eric, I finally managed to get the SSL Delta Link to work with Pro Tools 12.7.1 via the HD Native Thunderbolt. The issues were (1) length of the Digilink Cable and (2) the fact that my Delta Link only had version 1.37 of the firmware. I had to find an old 32 bit based computer to upgrade the firmware to version 2 (latest version) and then it finally worked. With both Digilink outputs connected it seems that I have the ability to run my full complement of I/O, that is 16 analog in and out and 16 digital in and out.

Thanks once again for your assistance. Hopefully, if someone has a similar issue in the future, they will benefit from this post.

Cheers.
Hey all.. Thanks for the helpful thread on this.

Hi Coffeeman, did you open the unit to see if it was 1.37? I opened mine and I see a sticker that looks like f20 so I assume mine came w it.

My issue is Pro Tools just keeps claiming at start... it doesn't see any interfaces attached to the Native card. Yet, digitest sees interfaces both on primary and secondary.

Cable lengths with f2.0 really went away, can be between 6-12 ft. But per your findings, I have tried both super short w digilink cable converters, and bit longer runs... no difference...

Clocking, does it matter if I go direct from my clock to each device. I saw a Deltalink diagram indicating go more daisychain w the DL last in the chain, but that seemed more just convenience, or ancient SSL docs from the 2010s lol...

SSL is being helpful, but these devices are just so old at this point. Yet, I knew like most of my SSL stuff, it's like a tank and little to no configurability.

My only thought is to swap for a known working DL and see if that lassos the issue...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dayz
Old 11-14-2022, 09:09 AM

Thanks all for the update. I’ll check my Delta Links’ FW versions.

I have since changed to HDX. I’m assuming HDX and Native would behave the same in this regard and will write back with my findings.

Peter
Old 11-14-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
I had to find an old 32 bit based computer to upgrade the firmware to version 2 (latest version) and then it finally worked.

Cheers.
Hi coffeeman,
Do you recall the Windows version that worked for your firmware update?

Thanks,
Peter