Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-16-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Persistent 9073 Errors

I’ve been using Pro Tools for almost twenty years for home recording. My current audio interface is the Focusrite 18i8 (3rd gen). I'm running Pro Tools Studio (2022.4.0). Until recently, for recording I’d been using a Dell laptop with a i7 processor and 16gb of RAM, along with an external 1TB, 7200 rpm HDD drive. This was my work computer and thus not ideal, but mostly worked with only occasional problems with pops and clicks during recording and sometimes a system crash. So not bad, but I had an opportunity to upgrade to a dedicated audio computer and thus did so, but I’m having a lot of problems with 9073 errors and I cannot figure it out. My current system is the following:

HP Envy Desktop
Intel Core i7-11700 Processor
64GB RAM
1TB SSD
2TB HDD (supposedly 7200 rpm)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Graphics
Windows 11

I’ve got Pro Tools on the SSD drive and I’m recording to the HDD.

When recording with my band, normally using just four tracks (two mic’d guitar amps and two mics on the drums), I routinely get 9073 errors that end the recording process. I’ve searched the error and done almost all of the Windows optimization and troubleshooting steps recommended by both Avid and Sweetwater. I’ve removed all bloatware from my machine and I’ve stopped virtually all the other background processes that I can while recording. The one major exception being “Antimalware Service Executable” which is the part of Windows Security that I cannot stop. The only way to do so is to uninstall the security program completely and I’d like to use that as an absolute last resort because I do want to be able to get on the internet sometimes. It also seems like it should be unnecessary since this computer, with 64 GBs of RAM, should be plenty fast enough! Yet I’m still getting the error. Usually happens between 5 and 15 minutes into recording.

Now here’s the really weird thing: I seem to ONLY get 9073 errors when we are recording the band. If I just leave Pro Tools recording the relative silence of the room through the four microphones I cannot get it to crash (For example, I just left it for nearly 200 minutes). This also makes it hard for me to test potential fixes and impossible for me to watch for any CPU spikes in the Task Manager to try and detect what might be turning off and on. This situation does not make sense to me, because the volume of what’s being recorded shouldn’t have any role in how much the computer is being forced to work, right? There’s a 44khz sample rate whether or not the mic is hearing loud guitars or low hum of my furnace. Or am I wrong about that? I suppose it could just be dumb luck that I’m only getting the errors when it actually matters, but that’s looking increasingly unlikely. So that’s question number one: Could the content of the recording have any bearing on getting a 9073 error? Any other explanations (beyond Murphy’s Law) for why I only get it while recording something I really don’t want to lose?

Now, as far as potential sources of the problem short of Windows Security: Sweetwater says that a big HDD drive can lead to fragmentation and thus you should partition a big drive into smaller bits. So this is question #2: Is my 2TB hard drive simply too big and perhaps the source of the problem? Should I partition into smaller chunks? If so, how small?

My final hypothesis was that perhaps it was my usb ports not getting sufficient power. Apparently one problem with these pretty fast computers is that they are not provided with an adequate power supply for all of their power. People see 64 GBs of ram and two drives and so forth and that’s what they want to pay for. But then manufacturers go cheap on power supply and there isn’t enough to really run the machine at full power. So I did buy a powered USB hub thinking that perhaps that would be it, but my Focusrite will not connect through the powered hub (don’t know why). Furthermore, I’ve read that this is NOT recommended and that it’s better to have your audio interface connected directly to the machine. But I thought I’d throw the power thing out there as a potential explanation and see if anybody has any thoughts.

This is incredibly frustrating as I’m sure you can imagine, so if anybody thinks they have a solution it will be HIGHLY appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-16-2022, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Persistent 9073 Errors

Might be a simple solution….did you disable USB power management on ALL your USB ports?
Old 08-16-2022, 02:10 PM

Don't record to the HDD.

There is no need for an external or second "session drive" despite the continued advice from Avid. This advice is from a bygone era when people used spinning disks.

Use the fast internal SSD for everything. OS, applications, VIs, audio. Everything.
If you want to make a backup when you've finished the session, copy it to the HDD at that point.

Dominic
Old 08-16-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Might be a simple solution….did you disable USB power management on ALL your USB ports?
I've never heard of this. Thank you for this suggestion. I have not yet done it but I will try. Though, as always, I cannot get the damn thing to crash when it doesn't matter! It's going on 200 minutes of continuous recording right now with no problems. So weird.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Don't record to the HDD.

There is no need for an external or second "session drive" despite the continued advice from Avid. This advice is from a bygone era when people used spinning disks.

Use the fast internal SSD for everything. OS, applications, VIs, audio. Everything.
If you want to make a backup when you've finished the session, copy it to the HDD at that point.

Dominic
Huh. Ok, that's worth a try too. Thanks very much!
Old 08-16-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Don't record to the HDD.

Dominic
+1. Record to your SSD. You can partition your SSD to have an 'Audio' partition. I use a 2 TB SSD that has 3 partitions. System, Audio and VST. Yes, all my VST's reside on a different partition from the system. That way, my system partition remains lean. Not that it matters much with an SSD, but I don't want my system partition growing too 'fat'.

With that plan, backing up the system is a breeze. i use the Audio partition for work in progress and transfer sessions that I'm not currently working on to an HDD.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
+1. Record to your SSD. You can partition your SSD to have an 'Audio' partition. I use a 2 TB SSD that has 3 partitions. System, Audio and VST. Yes, all my VST's reside on a different partition from the system. That way, my system partition remains lean. Not that it matters much with an SSD, but I don't want my system partition growing too 'fat'.

With that plan, backing up the system is a breeze. i use the Audio partition for work in progress and transfer sessions that I'm not currently working on to an HDD.
Just to be clear, if you find partitions make it more convenient, then by all means use them. I personally find partitions inconvenient, because if one partition runs out of space, I have to resize.
But the critical issue is - on an SSD, there is absolutely no performance advantage or penalty having partitions or not. It makes NO difference. (This is not true of a spinning disk).

Dominic
Old 08-16-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphineas View Post
I've never heard of this. Thank you for this suggestion. I have not yet done it but I will try. Though, as always, I cannot get the damn thing to crash when it doesn't matter! It's going on 200 minutes of continuous recording right now with no problems. So weird.
I should've checked before I responded, but I do have them disabled, so it look like it's not that. But thank you for this suggestion.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, if you find partitions make it more convenient, then by all means use them. I personally find partitions inconvenient, because if one partition runs out of space, I have to resize.
But the critical issue is - on an SSD, there is absolutely no performance advantage or penalty having partitions or not. It makes NO difference. (This is not true of a spinning disk).

Dominic
I partition for organizational/management reasons, not for any other advantage. Without partitions I would have to back up 2TB of data at a go. I want to be able to back up the system quickly without any extraneous data. I can always move sessions to other drives if/when necessary.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphineas View Post
I've never heard of this. Thank you for this suggestion...
Click "Help Us Help You" at the top of this forum. Navigate to:

Avid Computer Optimizations (for Windows)
For now (i.e. until the problem is isolated) do each-and-every-one of these pesky little steps.

Also, go to
Avid Troubleshooting (for Windows)
For now (i.e. until the problem is isolated) do each-and-every-one of these pesky little steps.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume