Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2022, 01:12 PM

Default Cpu runs out of power ..fix?

So I use pro tools 11 in windows 10. My computer isn't exactly a cpu beast but it's an i3 4 cores.

I just updated to 24 gb ram.

I also cloned my windows drive to a new ssd and is using a ssd m.2 drive for my pro tools projects and nothing else. It's newly formatted as well.

I've followed most of the optimizations for windows on Avids site.

My issue now is that I purchased Omnisphere 2 and it eats up everything. Even when I try with only one single track in a project. The omnisphere folder is on the ssd as they suggest. I disable fx in omnisphere. I use the lite version as well. I reduce the voices if the sound has many.

Cpu runs out of power when I wanna play omnisphere with my track looping. It loads slow when I select Omnisphere in the track .

What can I do??
Old 07-22-2022, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Cpu runs out of power ..fix?

Post a sandra report…you’ve given about 10% of the necessary information..
First red flag I see is that i3 processor, though.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Post a sandra report…you’ve given about 10% of the necessary information..
First red flag I see is that i3 processor, though.
A what report?

You will D think that omnisphere would run a bit smoother with specs like these ..2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor or higher, 8GB RAM minimum, 64GB free drive space
Old 07-22-2022, 05:36 PM

*sigh*
At the top of the forum, “help us help you.”

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

If you’re only running 8gb of RAM, that’s a big problem too. 16 is the recommended minimum.
“Specs like these” would have been great 10 years ago.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:42 PM

Posting a SANDRA report plus other troubleshooting and optimization tips can be found in the Help Us Help You thread.

As far as the minimum specs for plugins, you need to remember that they are perfect scenarios, meaning a system with just Windows, a DAW and the plugin. So you need to make sure nothing else in your system is using up RAM or background processes that eat up CPU.

System Details
Old 07-22-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaeckBeatz View Post
So I use pro tools 11 in windows 10. My computer isn't exactly a cpu beast but it's an i3 4 cores.

I just updated to 24 gb ram.

I also cloned my windows drive to a new ssd and is using a ssd m.2 drive for my pro tools projects and nothing else. It's newly formatted as well.
Great but this is unlikely to have anything to do with storage. But since we are here... if your boot drive is a fast NVME M.2 drive there is no reason you have to be separating sessions and samples and boot.

Quote:
I've followed most of the optimizations for windows on Avids site.
Even though you may have other issues, including just lack of CPU power. You need to do *every* last optimization now, no matter how inconvenient it is or silly it seems and see if anything helps. Pay special attention to all the BIOS settings. If something is not clear ask. Make all the optimization changes and leave them done while you troubleshoot other stuff.

Quote:
My issue now is that I purchased Omnisphere 2 and it eats up everything. Even when I try with only one single track in a project. The omnisphere folder is on the ssd as they suggest. I disable fx in omnisphere. I use the lite version as well. I reduce the voices if the sound has many.

Cpu runs out of power when I wanna play omnisphere with my track looping. It loads slow when I select Omnisphere in the track .

What can I do??
Read all the info under "Help us Help You" up the top of each DUC web page and post a SiSoft Sandra Report as other have asked for as well.

Your computer may well be too underpowered.

To be clear what *exact* AAE error numbers are you getting?

As you troubleshoot you should be trashing prefs, always first thing to try with Pro Tools troubleshooting, and do it between trying other stuff. I would just buy the Trasher utility to make it easier (and avoid doing the wrong thing). https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm

What IO Buffer size and sample rate are you using? Increase IO Buffer size to the largest available just to see if the problem goes away, large buffer sizes will be a trade-off with recording latency.

While troubleshooting be sure to leave "ignore errors" unchecked... you want to see every AAE error.

Pro Tools 11 is old, it has known issues with AAX plugin efficiency, which were significantly improved with changes in 2019.5, that's more likely to affect things where multiple plugins are running especially in long chains, but still might be significant here.

And Pro Tools 12 releases added freeze and commit. Which might help you if you either freeze/commit additional load on the computer or to freeze/commit the Omnisphere once you have stuff you like so you can do other stuff.

There can be significant improvements with processor affinity tweaks on Windows to help reduce AAE CPU errors. e.g. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411952 You should likely try this after doing *all* other optimization (and don't forget the Sandra report).
Old 07-24-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaeckBeatz View Post
...What can I do??
Almost any newer computer will slam that i3. Do ALL - not most - of those pesky Avid recommended optimizations. If Omnisphere 2 really is a CPU hog (I don't know - don't use it), you might have to switch to a less hungry plug.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-24-2022, 02:54 PM

A better computer is the solution. The i3 is a "budget" processor when you need a "power" processor. An i5 is dead minimum, as is 16GB of RAM(windows needs 8GB for itself, never mind Pro Tools or any sample libraries). And yes, Omnisphere is a resource hog. You could try Reaper, which is much less CPU-intensive(and free to demo). If you NEED Pro Tools, then you need a more suitable PC(and a Mac i3 would also be under-powered).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-25-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
A better computer is the solution. The i3 is a "budget" processor when you need a "power" processor. An i5 is dead minimum, as is 16GB of RAM(windows needs 8GB for itself, never mind Pro Tools or any sample libraries). And yes, Omnisphere is a resource hog. You could try Reaper, which is much less CPU-intensive(and free to demo). If you NEED Pro Tools, then you need a more suitable PC(and a Mac i3 would also be under-powered).
Yea this computer wasn't built for this really. I just started playing around with Pro Tools again a couple of years ago and now I'm using it pretty often. Buying a new computer is not possible atm.

I followed all the recommendations for optimization for win 10 and pro tools and now it's tolerable when I'm using Omnisphere . Sometimes the cpu runs out of power and the icon freezes but it's OK. I'm normally not using that many tracks in my music .
Old 07-25-2022, 08:13 AM

If your work flow allows, commit the Omnisphere track(s) as soon as possible(once a track is committed, the plugin will be made inactive, and use no system resources)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave