Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 03-30-2022, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Used Carbon hardware without software

Hi thats good news I thought I had bought a doorstop.
The seller says he has transferred the ownership but I still do not see it in my iLok and cannot activate Pro Tools with the included card. Can you tell me if he has done this please?
Cheers
Old 03-31-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
We will not separate the software from the hardware, they are intended to work together.

If you sell/transfer Carbon to another person, we will transfer the hardware and software.
I'd totally love that, Mark! Would you mind checking my account, please, and let me know what else is needed for my recent used Carbon purchase? The transfer process was done within the initial year of purchase, but it wasn't without complications. Because I own other perpetual PT licenses, I finally just accepted the used hardware-alone transfer explanations from other Avid reps. Our saga was handled in "Pro Tools Carbon Transfer of ownership [Case : 04302393]"

Hope I'm wrong and hope you're right because your line of reasoning makes total sense!

-Mark Lange

edit: added case #
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys

Last edited by mlange; 03-31-2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:06 AM

Marriage of hardware with software would be ideal in an ideal world, but unfortunately we don’t necessarily live in one. A good solution which probably could use a patent would be to tie both together through the firmware. Nonetheless, as it stands they both currently work independently. Don’t expect support from a sale gone bad. If the purchaser doesn’t want to pay for software or support, don’t expect it to be part of the sale. Have that party purchase it separately. It doesn’t seem kosher, but not all foods are. Good luck on your “hardware only” purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2022, 10:19 AM

Seller and I are waiting after submitting transfer form and fees. Avid say 48hrs and it's done. Thanks for you're encouragement
Old 03-31-2022, 10:42 AM
Avid

Hey Mark

Thanks for the case number, it was very helpful. In this instance since the original owner choose to extend an existing license, much like you have, there is no software to transfer unfortunately.

I do see the Carbon in your account now, and as mentioned before, it'll work with Pro Tools Standard or Ultimate.

Lemme know if you have any other questions... enjoy!

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 03-31-2022, 11:16 AM

After following this thread, I'm happy to see it working out.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-31-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey Mark

Thanks for the case number, it was very helpful. In this instance since the original owner choose to extend an existing license, much like you have, there is no software to transfer unfortunately.

I do see the Carbon in your account now, and as mentioned before, it'll work with Pro Tools Standard or Ultimate.

Lemme know if you have any other questions... enjoy!

m
Thanks so much, Mark. I'm glad things are sorting out for Wickett. In my case, the used Carbon purchase was on 11/15/22 but it took quite a bit of time before the TOO finally was authorized by Avid. Not to beat a dead horse, but when did something "change" with our Carbon's original PTU license that invalidated its transfer? Many times support said that software could not be transferred because it was a PTU subscription - a number of Avid support reps even claimed the Carbon couldn't be sold/transferred because of the bundled subscription, lol. Originally our Carbon's PTU was a 1yr subscription and registered on 5/19/2022 - the sale of the Carbon system was around 11/15/22. There was never a conversion or perpetual license received or offered. Would love to know what could’ve or should’ve been done to retain the license. Feel free to PM me, if you prefer.

-Mark
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys

Last edited by mlange; 04-09-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:33 PM

The software license you speak of is a not for resale license tied to the hardware. It’s based on the original digidesign model “tying” the software to the hardware. Unfortunately, some people are unwilling to pay for the software, transfer of ownership, and associated fees during the sale. So what you’re essentially left with is a turnkey try to buy system with no transfer. Otherwise known as a rental or “ stolen vehicle “ in other cases. Either way, good luck on your purchase ,and welcome aboard, if it’s your first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2022, 11:52 AM

Hi The license was transferred to my account. I was under the impression that I would be a perpetual license for pro tools including the bundled plugins but my account says that the subscription ends in November. Does this mean that It will change to a perpetual license then?
Old 04-20-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickett View Post
Hi The license was transferred to my account. I was under the impression that I would be a perpetual license for pro tools including the bundled plugins but my account says that the subscription ends in November. Does this mean that It will change to a perpetual license then?
Why do you have the impression you would get a perpetual license?

The Pro Tools subscription license that comes with Carbon is special, well documented and discussed. e.g. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...faq/Carbon-FAQ

And Mark clearly said earlier in this thread about transfering the *subscription*.