Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2001, 08:52 AM

Default O/T. Flat screen displays

HI all,

I jave just ordered a 15.1" flat screen apple display.
It's not the newest one, but the one with the oval base.
Does anyone know if this fits directly into my g4 450 MP on my graphics card.

Sorry to be off topic, but I really want my 2x monitor PT LE setup!

Cheers,

Andrew [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2001, 09:10 AM

Default Re: O/T. Flat screen displays

From Digi about two monitor sets:

Digidesign has found only one configuration and card that appears to reliably achieve full Pro Tools performance when two monitors are desired. The card is called the Jeronimo 2000 by Appian. For information on installation, which must be followed very closely, and to download the required Mac driver for this card click here: http://www.digidesign.com/download/appian.html
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:16 AM

Hi,

I run two "old" flat screens (the ones on the stalk) with my G4 450 and and ATI RAGE card with absolutely no problem at all. It is the only way to run PT and there is no need to take a loan out to do it. You will need to have this additional card, though, as the stock one in the Mac doesn't handle two monitors at once.

Good luck...

nz
Old 10-27-2001, 06:46 PM

There is a place in California that sells refurbished Appian cards.
Sub $300.00 price range. http://teamexcess.com
Old 10-27-2001, 07:16 PM

Thanks guys.

I recently bought a voodoo 5500 really cheaply on ebay, so I will use that for powering one monitor.
NP, I didn't realise you can't run both monitors off one card.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 10-27-2001, 11:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by nz:
Hi,

I run two "old" flat screens (the ones on the stalk) with my G4 450 and and ATI RAGE card with absolutely no problem at all. It is the only way to run PT and there is no need to take a loan out to do it. You will need to have this additional card, though, as the stock one in the Mac doesn't handle two monitors at once.

Good luck...

nz
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NZ,

What are you using for your second card?

THANKS
Old 10-28-2001, 03:38 PM

I'm using a 22" cinema display and a 17" Apple flat panel, via the Dr. Bott DVIator, all with a dual 533. With sessions that have a lot of plugs and tracks, I often get the PCI bus too busy message. This happens often when I'm doing fader moves while a track is playing. I hope someday that future hardware and software will manage to fix this, because the cinema display is fantastic, and having the mixer on 17" doesn't hurt either.

I don't use the USB ports on the 17" to try and minimize power consumption. It's weird though because in the same session, sometimes the PCI system usage window will be in the red, and sometimes in the middle. Part of the problem I think is that I have an Ultratek raid card too. I use two 40 gig drives for video capture and edit, and ProTools will never let me record to those drives - I guess because of the power needed to run the card, the 001, and the DVIator. What I'm not sure about though, is how much power is being usurped only by the card's presence in the bus, even though it's idle.

Sean www.seanmalone.net
Old 10-28-2001, 08:02 PM

My setup consists of G4/450 with ATI Radeon AGP card and an ATI Radeon PCI card. Both cards support my Dual Apple 15" Displays with DVI connection. Very nice.
Didn't like to burn up a PCI slot but had no choice at the time..
I don't believe there is a dual port DVI card available..
Anyone?
Old 10-28-2001, 08:03 PM

My setup consists of G4/450 with ATI Radeon AGP card and an ATI Radeon PCI card. Both cards support my Dual Apple 15" Displays with DVI connection. Very nice.
Didn't like to burn up a PCI slot but had no choice at the time..
I don't believe there is a dual port DVI card available..
Anyone?