Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-18-2015, 01:19 PM

Default Artist Control connection issues

Hey folks. I'm having troubles with getting my Artist Control to connect to my Mac...again. It'd been working fine for quite a while, then I had an unrelated issue with my network settings needing to be reset and it hasn't worked since. Leaving it as it was I can't get past the Avid boot screen, with some trial and error I've got it to connect, but it won't actually control anything. In Digital Performer, for example, the application shows up on the Control's screen, but no tracks do, and the buttons and faders don't do anything.

Here's what I've got: 2009 MacPro master computer, PC slave. Both are plugged into an ethernet switch (going into Ethernet 1 on the Mac), all the audio and MIDI being run through VE Pro. I also use Synergy to share the mouse and keyboard between computers.

Previously I had the Control plugged into the switch as well (and thus it also went into Ethernet 1), and it was set to Use DHCP and obtain IP address automatically. After everything went sideways I switched to plugging the Control directly into Ethernet 2, with a slight bit of progress being made. The surface shows up in EuControl settings, both under All Surfaces and My Surfaces now, which feels like a step in the right direction, but I can't get it to actually work with the computer.

Here's my network settings

Mac:
Ethernet 2
Configure IPv4: Manually
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Router: blank

EUCON Preferences:
Network Interface: Ethernet 2
the application field is empty.

Artist Control:
Network Setup: Use DHCP is unchecked
IP Address: 10.0.0.4

I've also tried reinstalling the latest EuControl software, but no changes. I'm sure I just have something set up incorrectly, but I don't know what I'm doing well enough to really diagnose things. Other than standing on one foot and waving a dead chicken at it while saying "Beetlejuice" three times I'm not sure what the next step is. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Artist Control connection issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWire View Post
Hey folks. I'm having troubles with getting my Artist Control to connect to my Mac...again. It'd been working fine for quite a while, then I had an unrelated issue with my network settings needing to be reset and it hasn't worked since. Leaving it as it was I can't get past the Avid boot screen, with some trial and error I've got it to connect, but it won't actually control anything. In Digital Performer, for example, the application shows up on the Control's screen, but no tracks do, and the buttons and faders don't do anything.

Here's what I've got: 2009 MacPro master computer, PC slave. Both are plugged into an ethernet switch (going into Ethernet 1 on the Mac), all the audio and MIDI being run through VE Pro. I also use Synergy to share the mouse and keyboard between computers.

Previously I had the Control plugged into the switch as well (and thus it also went into Ethernet 1), and it was set to Use DHCP and obtain IP address automatically. After everything went sideways I switched to plugging the Control directly into Ethernet 2, with a slight bit of progress being made. The surface shows up in EuControl settings, both under All Surfaces and My Surfaces now, which feels like a step in the right direction, but I can't get it to actually work with the computer.

Here's my network settings

Mac:
Ethernet 2
Configure IPv4: Manually
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Router: blank

EUCON Preferences:
Network Interface: Ethernet 2
the application field is empty.

Artist Control:
Network Setup: Use DHCP is unchecked
IP Address: 10.0.0.4

I've also tried reinstalling the latest EuControl software, but no changes. I'm sure I just have something set up incorrectly, but I don't know what I'm doing well enough to really diagnose things. Other than standing on one foot and waving a dead chicken at it while saying "Beetlejuice" three times I'm not sure what the next step is. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I can't help you with the PC side of your problem, but I have the same mac pro 2009 and i literally just plugged both my Artist Mix and Artist Control into the built in ethernet ports in the back of my mac and boom they work perfectly! I do sometimes have to go into EU control settings and add the Artist Control manually, but its rare ... :)
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 AM

I have what seems to be the same or a related issue. My MC Control connects fine when plugged directly into the Mac. It does not work when the MC Control is connected via the Ethernet switch.
  1. EuControl and the Firmware are latest versions
  2. There are no firewalls in the switch and prior to Yosemite this hardware configuration worked perfectly.
  3. I tried clearing the plist configuration files in Library and ~library. Still the same.

Anyone had this issue and fixed it?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 PM

More info. I used Bonjour Browser to show this is not a network issue Here are the EuControl and the Bonjour Browser results side by side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MC Control Bonjour.jpg (29.9 KB, 0 views)