How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-12-2022, 06:23 PM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Pick any publicly traded company. This is not new for the top paid. Rarely are there many technical (unless founders.) This is a dumb metric.
By no means is it a dumb metric. The point of illustrating the minority of technical board members is to highlight the company's intent and ambition. Emotional loyalty. An engineer is far more likely to feel ownership, and therefore strengthen the brand, than someone with a business background, interested in strengthening their paycheck without care for the marque.

This dumb metric has lead to the intense imbalance of Executive vs. non-Executive compensation, and we all know how that money-grab has affected the entire workforce, country-wide.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:26 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2022 Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James67 View Post
There was a thread right here at the duc at the time of the introduction of the subscription model, where Avid joined the discussion rather vividly (for once).
If anyone has the time or desire to dig through this mammoth I'm sure he'll find some promises that haven't been kept:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364255
I clicked and scanned down only a few posts to find Avid's statement: "We are planning a few releases a year..."

Vague, and far from the quarterly updates we've discussed and hoped for.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I clicked and scanned down only a few posts to find Avid's statement: "We are planning a few releases a year..." Vague, and far from the quarterly updates we've discussed and hoped for.
In fairness, that's a 50 page thread and there may have been something far more specific mentioned later on. However, I don't have the time or inclination to go back and revisit it all.

I did find a "Pro Tools Expert" article that mentioned the 3 monthly updates (quote below) so clearly, it was said at some point. We can't all be making this up, right?

Quote:
Avid promised regular updates every couple of months... rather than waiting for one big upgrade. This was a significant part of the sales pitch for users to buy into the upgrade plans..."
Old 04-13-2022, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reml@P View Post
In fairness, that's a 50 page thread and there may have been something far more specific mentioned later on. However, I don't have the time or inclination to go back and revisit it all.

I did find a "Pro Tools Expert" article that mentioned the 3 monthly updates (quote below) so clearly, it was said at some point. We can't all be making this up, right?

Actually it has 89 pages, and there's not "the statement of Avid" as Eric puts it, there are many, many statements from Avid employees. I followed this thread at the time, and I can't remember what was said exactly. Only that they tried to defend and sell the new model in various ways.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:55 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't want updates every few months? As it is once things are working I'm hesitant to update until whatever I'm working on is done.

Once a quarter for bug fixes or maybe a new feature here or there would be fine.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 04-13-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't want updates every few months? As it is once things are working I'm hesitant to update until whatever I'm working on is done.

Once a quarter for bug fixes or maybe a new feature here or there would be fine.
Yeah. I’d be quite happy with an annual update and bug fixes (essentially - the old system). I’m still on 2021.6 because the later ones had nothing of interest to me and I agree system stability is all.

But that’s not the way Avid chose. Frequent updates they said. Fine - I just install the ones that are worth it to me.

Out of interest, I just looked it up - 2021.3 was actually quite a nothingy update, whereas in previous years that was the big one. 2021.6 was the big one last year.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-13-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
But that’s not the way Avid chose. Frequent updates they said. Fine ...
That was a ruse in order to justify going to their current, most expensive in class, subs-tortion scheme. Not sure why some folks are so eager to give AVID a pass on this.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:38 PM

As long as I can work every day, the timing of updates is very low on my 'things to stress over' list.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-13-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reml@P View Post
In fairness, that's a 50 page thread and there may have been something far more specific mentioned later on.
Yes, admittedly I only briefly scanned that first page. But I'm not much interested in what they said, or did not say, back then, and I'm hardly even interested in what they say at present. Updates that physically hit their website, that's what counts.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You mean 1994?

Unless you were on Pro Tools 2.5 or earlier, you have never been on Pro Tools without Avid. Just because Avid didn't replace the Digidesign brand with Avid way back then, doesn't mean it wasn't completely under Avid since then. Pro Tools 3 was developed under Avid.
The story is wilder than that. So many Digidesign people took on roles at Avid that it looked like Digidesign had really taken over Avid.