Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2022, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Anyone running Pro Tools on an M1 with Monterey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Also I think the next generation is going to be much more expensive.
I'm not so sure the next generation is going to be much more expensive. I didn't really see much of a shift in price with the M1's and in some cases, they were cheaper then the Intel's.
And I've been seeing Macs being discounted much more often then before.

I mean, last years iPhone was about the same price and this year it has double the storage.

Granted we are at record inflation world wide, so that might bring the prices up but honestly, I think Apple has moved into a model of in-house prosumer and pro. They have much more of the ability to keep their costs within range of many people.

It would be a really bad business move to raise prices. They are already at a kind of "premium" price, but they just continue to work.
All my Macs still work. My 2006 MBP still works. Mac mini with a DVD drive. Both my 5,1's. 2012 MBP just fine.
That is where I think the premium price comes in. Longevity.

Prices will probably be higher in terms of cores and ram of course. But I expect in comparison to the Mac Pro Intel, the 32, 48 and 64 cores that will eventually come, won't cost what the Mac Pro costs.

I am sure that Mac Pro case is 1500 in just cost.

Anyway, I think the Mac future looks great, and I'm willing to have a little lag time in between.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
woah gotta call ya on this

Yes Avid has always been slow to qualify new OS's where significant recoding is involved or new processor architecture, and as I noted given that history, most of complaints are objectively, self inflicted by the customer themselves jumping the gun .

Interesting and a bit hypocritical that you seem to be blaming Source Connect's "shortcomings" on Apple Yet blame Avid's exact same "shortcomings" on Avid ...... If Avid's short comings of slow compliance are Avid's fault, then Source Connects slow compliance is SC's fault.

Too bad about Source Connect but it is in fact their "shortcomings" of being slow to be compliant ..
And given iMovie , Garageband, Logic and Final Cut Pro X et. al. bundled Apple apps work fine on Monterey As well as an entire slew of 3 party apps and plug ins ... Apple is hardly being "Shifty" simply because of Source Connect's "short comings" in reaching compliance ?
K Roche,
You don't have to call anyone on anything you don't want to. And unless you work for AVID, I'm not sure why it matters to you.

I don't care about who is "at fault" for what. I'm just trying to solve a problem. Nor am I here to defend Source Elements.

The issue is less with AVID's slow compliance, but their customer service and communication. Those issues of submitting a ticket and waiting days for an email response are well known and have been for years.

At least Source, like Apple, and unlike AVID answered my call. They told me where they were in their development process for Source-Connect Standard 4.0, offered an ETA on readiness, and what steps might be taken in the meantime. That helps me plan.

I don't know if Apple is "being sneaky", those were Source's words, not mine. Feel free to take it up with them.

At least they were available and helpful. AVID is a good company I've used for years. But they're hardly nimble or accessible when it comes to responsiveness and I'm hardly the first to say it.

Peace.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEliker View Post
K Roche,
You don't have to call anyone on anything you don't want to. And unless you work for AVID, I'm not sure why it matters to you.

I don't care about who is "at fault" for what. I'm just trying to solve a problem. Nor am I here to defend Source Elements.

The issue is less with AVID's slow compliance, but their customer service and communication. Those issues of submitting a ticket and waiting days for an email response are well known and have been for years.

At least Source, like Apple, and unlike AVID answered my call. They told me where they were in their development process for Source-Connect Standard 4.0, offered an ETA on readiness, and what steps might be taken in the meantime. That helps me plan.

I don't know if Apple is "being sneaky", those were Source's words, not mine. Feel free to take it up with them.

At least they were available and helpful. AVID is a good company I've used for years. But they're hardly nimble or accessible when it comes to responsiveness and I'm hardly the first to say it.

Peace.
No I do not work for Avid, (a lame injection at best) because that is not a pre qualification for observing or pointing out subjective contradiction . And I don't think it is news or a viable comparison that a small software company is able to provide more direct customer service than big corporation .... But you are right I don't really Care .. carry on

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-20-2022, 11:44 AM

I’m running an M1 mini 16 gb with a 512 gb drive. It came with Monterey 12.0 installed, which wouldn’t let me do Time Machine backups, which I consider mission-critical. Monterey 12.1 fixed that issue. Carbon took a bit of fiddling to get up and running on this OS, but it really wasn’t that bad and didn’t take that long. Most of the Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle doesn’t work, but many (but certainly not all) of my other plug-ins do. I also have a UA Thunderbolt 3 Octo, and that (and all of my UAD-2 plug-ins) works fine in PT 2021.12 Ultimate.

This is the fastest system I’ve ever owned, and by a considerable amount. It runs circles around my quad core 3.5 GHz i7 32 gb HD3 / PT 10 system. I am tempted to get an upgraded mini with an M1 Pro and 32 gb if/when Apple releases them just for peace of mind and future-proofing (extra performance cores and more ram never hurts, especially for VI’s and lots of plug-ins) but even with PT running under Rosetta 2, a basic M1 mini with 16 gb is no slouch. I suspect it will be even better if/when Avid releases a version of PT that runs natively without Rosetta.

If you need it NOW and you need it to work with everything, a 16 gb M1 rolled back to run Big Sur would probably be the best choice. If you are a power user and can wait a month or two, it might be better to get a MBP with an M1 Pro or M1 Max and wait for the software to catch up, or wait and see what Apple releases at their spring event/announcement.

I’ve got my fingers crossed that Avid will release the next PT upgrade sometime next month and that they’ll at least have the plug-in bundle functional by then, although it won’t surprise me if native Apple silicon compatibility takes longer. That’s all pure conjecture and may turn out to be wishful thinking - we’ll see.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:26 PM

2021.12 running fine here on Monterey MBP16 M1 Max. Avid just pushed 2022.2 updates of Avid Complete Plug-In bundle, working no issues thus far.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:15 PM

debolish, are you using Rosetta 2, or is it now Native Silicon compatible?
Old 03-22-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbess View Post
debolish, are you using Rosetta 2, or is it now Native Silicon compatible?
PT is using Rosetta.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:59 PM

A friend has an older PT licence (12.7.1), and is hoping to run that on a new 16" M1 Pro MBP. I know that Avid qualified 2021.12 + the 2022.2 plugins for this, but can anyone tell me if he is SOL without upgrading to 2021.12? I suspect he may be.

Truly asking for a friend.

TIA

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.6, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4.1, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6.1Pro, Spanner 4, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 03-27-2022, 12:01 AM

Yeah. Only 2021.12 with the 2022.2 plugins is certified for Monterey. If he invested in an 16" M1Pro MBP (requires Monterey) then he'll need to pony up to Protools 2021.12. Perhaps he should try the monthly or annual Protools subscription if his perpetual license of Protools 12.7.1 has an expired upgrade/support plan.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-27-2022, 05:05 AM

I was lucky enough to upgrade when Avid decided to issue reinstatements for a limited time. Is there a reason others are now not allowed to take that route?