Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Default MBOX Volume control

Has anyone experience "crackling" when adjusting the main volume knob on the Mbox.
If so, how did you correct it?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Default Re: MBOX Volume control

How old is the Mbox? There are a few workarounds, like using a monitor/source selector(Samson C-Control, Mackie Big Knob and Presonus Central Station are 3 such devices), or adding an external volume control like some I have seen from KRK, JBL, or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SM-Pro-Audio...item43ac9c4351

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 PM

I replaced the potmeter for the headphone volume, for it wasn't good anymore. Now you need to be familiar with electronics and soldering... I found a nice youtube showing the insides...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X70MhScVEM

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM

This problem is an design mistake!

You can actually decrease the noise or take it fully away! But for that you need to tear it down, dismantle it!

First you need to unscrew all screws from the backside...even the the nut-screw from the monitor outputs needs as well to be taken away

On the front you need to pull out the 2 gain knobs, the volume headphone knobs and the big volume knob.

Then you need to carefully take away the plastic stands and unscrew those 4 screws.

After that you should be able to pull out the whole card...Now look at the volume knob pot...and the cabling is very close to the iron that is holding the front-panel stable...now you understand that the cable is way too close and that gives the crackling of the volume knob.

I just took insulation tape and teared it around the iron peg/rod several times....

This helped me!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfree View Post
This problem is an design mistake!

You can actually decrease the noise or take it fully away! But for that you need to tear it down, dismantle it!

First you need to unscrew all screws from the backside...even the the nut-screw from the monitor outputs needs as well to be taken away

On the front you need to pull out the 2 gain knobs, the volume headphone knobs and the big volume knob.

Then you need to carefully take away the plastic stands and unscrew those 4 screws.

After that you should be able to pull out the whole card...Now look at the volume knob pot...and the cabling is very close to the iron that is holding the front-panel stable...now you understand that the cable is way too close and that gives the crackling of the volume knob.

I just took insulation tape and teared it around the iron peg/rod several times....

This helped me!
I agree..And to be clear, we are talking about an MBOX 3 series...correct?? It is brutal...but I found another work around (that requires less invasion). I simply take the large volume knob off of the unit and spray electronics cleaner in the groove of the volume pot. Then I work the knob back and forth. This fixes the issue for about 2 months at a time. What a crappy design decision. I may get brave and try your method, if it is a permanent fix. Could you give me a bit more details and maybe a picture or two (if that is not asking too much???) Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

I figured out what you were saying. I opened it up, and actually performed a hybrid treatment with both of our techniques. I insulated the wires more and I also sprayed into the hole of the pot (which I could not see before, not having opened the unit). We will see how this holds up!

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers

Last edited by louieshowers; 07-01-2013 at 09:04 AM.