Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Default Vocal Editing

i posted this earlier n tha wrong section n dnt kno how 2 delete it... ill do that tho

i just started using pro tools with Pro Tools 9 so im really nu wit it... i been using sony acid pro 7 since its been out and 6 and 5 before that... i dont really seen 2 be having alot ov problems with tha program at all i was hoping sum1 could give me sum advise on editing vocals...
i eq my vocals and get em 2 sound a lil better but they still kinda have a muffled kinda sound 2 em, and im working thru and learning tha nu stuff, just wondering if anyone has any tips on it to speed things up a lil bit.. im on a deadline and it was a terrible time for tha kompany 2 swich programs.. and all though i was use 2 acid pro, it seems like protools will be better in tha long run, everything is alot cleaner 2 me about how tha program works so any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Vocal Editing

If the vocals sound muffled without any EQ on them, EQ won't help. They need to be re-tracked by somebody who cares and is not deaf.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Toon View Post
i posted this earlier n tha wrong section n dnt kno how 2 delete it... ill do that tho

i just started using pro tools with Pro Tools 9 so im really nu wit it... i been using sony acid pro 7 since its been out and 6 and 5 before that... i dont really seen 2 be having alot ov problems with tha program at all i was hoping sum1 could give me sum advise on editing vocals...
i eq my vocals and get em 2 sound a lil better but they still kinda have a muffled kinda sound 2 em, and im working thru and learning tha nu stuff, just wondering if anyone has any tips on it to speed things up a lil bit.. im on a deadline and it was a terrible time for tha kompany 2 swich programs.. and all though i was use 2 acid pro, it seems like protools will be better in tha long run, everything is alot cleaner 2 me about how tha program works so any help would be greatly appreciated
My guess is that you are using additive eq.. do a search on youtube for subtractive eq. Learn to notch and start whittling away at the mud..

The best thing would be to re-track them, but if you cannot.. surgical eq would be the way to go.

(the thing that bothers me the most is that I could actually read and understand what OP was asking)
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
(the thing that bothers me the most is that I could actually read and understand what OP was asking)
Eye no, rite?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM

What Mic/s and Audio Interface/Mic Pres are you using to record vocals?

I ask because these are key factors in getting good sounding vocals. Tying to fix badly recorded vocals is tantamount to polishing a turd.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Reminds me of the tracks I got from a local "producer". He said he couldn't understand why the rented U47 and esoteric mic pre sounded so dull. I asked, "did you have the mic facing the right way?". After a long pause....................

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Toon View Post

Man... Please please, if you are to ask questions, write properly. It's not hard. I doubt that you would actually write a letter or email to any of your clients that way, would you?

Any now here's a quick tip.

Using a parametric EQ, set the q to the smallest possible factor and then boost the gain. Now go through the frequency that way until you find frequencies that you feel sounds awful and then cut them. Once that is done, you can again use the Parametric EQ using the high pass filter to cut on the bass. This should help clear up your vocals. Although if you can, you should redo the takes.

It's always better to cut a frequency that you do not need than to boost the other ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Reminds me of the tracks I got from a local "producer". He said he couldn't understand why the rented U47 and esoteric mic pre sounded so dull. I asked, "did you have the mic facing the right way?". After a long pause....................
Ha I had this happen myself with a track that was sent to me. Good thing they were able to redo it.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Man... Please please, if you are to ask questions, write properly. It's not hard. I doubt that you would actually write a letter or email to any of your clients that way, would you?
There's one forum I belong to they have a rigid rule about not posting in text-speak and will edit such a post so everyone without a Captain Midnight secret decoder ring can read & understand.

Edit: I just looked at his website http://www.j-toon.com/ and everything on there is just like he (or should I say they as it seems there's two persons) write here.

QAPLA!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Appreciate the advice thanks for that.. its interesting to me how it takes more than one comment about the way i write for the point to get accross, and im impressed that you took time out of what you were doing to go look at our website to see if we really type this way... and at just 1 request i would gladly change the grammar for those of u who dont understand, however i will not be posting on this website again, ive never had another forum complain about my writing and even tho you did that is completely understandable, but the fact that my email was spammed with over 50 messages about it is unacceptable.. so talk to me about 'professonal' and how i talk to ppl wen you can simply make a statement and i would have done so with no disagreement... again i appreciate tha ppl who responded, thank u
Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 PM

J-toon

I'm truly sorry to hear that some morons went to the extend to spam your email box about how you write. I agree with you that this is unacceptable. This forum though is the best place for amateur and pros to get their questions answered so please don't stop asking if you have some. Just that for some it;s really hard to concentrate and answer your questions with pseudo l33to speech. And yes, it's true that I wonder if you would write to your clients that way

Wave-T.com