Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Mini Grand Cutting Off Note Trails

So I did a search to see if this problem has been addressed before, but I didn't find anything. The problem I'm having is that when playing Mini Grand, if I hold down a note or use the sustain pedal, the note abruptly cuts off after about 1 second. I've tried using different modes, settings, etc., but none of that has had any effect. And I don't think it's an issue with my system's capability...I have a custom built PC that meets and exceeds all of the requirement for PT8, and I run a ton of other VIs without any problems. Any ideas about what might be causing this? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

P.S. I'm running 8.0.3 on XP.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Mini Grand Cutting Off Note Trails

I had this very same problem when I was on Windows----I moved over to the MAc with the very same hardware (I'm on PTHD) and the problem went away. I'm sorry that's all I can say at this point, but in my situation this (and a few other problems) occurred with software VI's. What I deducted was, in situation, it was the Windows operating system----it wasn't a ProTools issue at all, it was just Windows.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 PM

This happens every so often with instruments that stream from hard disk. Resetting everything should bring it back.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Also happens with structure, re-start is always the fix.

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys, tried the restart solution and it worked. And now that I think about it, I had a similar issue a while back with the Play plug-in from Quantum Leap. After getting basically no help from QL, I called Sweetwater's Tech Support department, and after some testing we found out that for whatever reason, Pro Tools is holding onto RAM. So if you are in a session and close out of it, then open a new session, Pro Tools doesn't release all of the RAM that was being used, meaning that amount is now unavailable, causing certain VIs to not be able to completely load their samples. Completely closing and restarting Pro Tools seems to fix the issue most of the time, but Play still stops working intermittently, giving me an error message about a lack of system resources. It's honestly become so much of a pain that it's not really worth going through the headache to use the software, which is a shame because it sounds so good.

The weird part is that it seems like the RAM hogging issue is only happening with certain VIs, as I use BFD 2 all the time and have never had any issues like this. Is this something anybody else has experienced? Are developers aware of the problem?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Very cool, glad it worked! I did that myself, it didn't fix it..... and glad to hear you're working. While Mini Grand isn't exactly blow your mind good---it is a very good plugin for writing and performing, light on the CPU, and such a great value considering it's free!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
such a great value considering it's free!
Not free. It comes with the paid upgrade. That doesn't make it free.

I DO love it though!
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
Not free. It comes with the paid upgrade. That doesn't make it free.

I DO love it though!
And if someone is buying it for the first time, it's free---along with DB33, BOOM, and all of the other great stuff.